Dont read if you hate someone who finds 4 colonial coins under a week.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't read if you hate someone who finds 4 colonial coins under a week.

I know this post will just disappear into page 87 by tomorrow, but I figure the few of you who actually care about colonial stuff should see what I have found recently in MA.

On the left are 2 Connecticut coppers(1787).

On the right we have 2 Woods Hibernia Halfpennies(1722-1724).

I found them all within a week, and all on the same farm I have been working. 3 came from 1 field, and one came from an old trail adjacent a field.

Notice the old hoe. It's an oldie for sure!

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 4-colonial-copper-coins.jpg
    4-colonial-copper-coins.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 378
  • dirty-old-hoe.jpg
    dirty-old-hoe.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 297
  • old-trail-1.jpg
    old-trail-1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 173
  • farm-field-2.jpg
    farm-field-2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Upvote 8
Way to go :hello2: Nice coins :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

I think you meant to say you found "FORE!" Colonial Coppers. :laughing7: I love those old coppers. That is a great spot, and I hope you can pull out a lot more finds like these! Way To Go! :icon_thumleft:

Amazing finds. Congrats! You must've been very excited to pull those out of the ground.

Oh yeah, I was stoked. I look upon that field with much respect now. For a good month all I found was 2 buttons.

Great finds! Hope to meet up with you when granthansen and I go northward (in other words, if you can't hate 'em, join 'em).

Looking forward to it!

Great coins, love to see a fellow Central Mass swinger finding the good stuff.

Thanks! Love that Mass cent in your avatar...

I think you meant to say you found "FORE!" Colonial Coppers. :laughing7: I love those old coppers. That is a great spot, and I hope you can pull out a lot more finds like these! Way To Go! :icon_thumleft:

Ha! I was just thinking I should have made a golf joke... lol

Last edited:
Elad said:
Thanks!

Thanks! It was never that way with the old Tnet forum...

Yep, I never posted much of my stuff back then nobody wanted to see my crap. LOL I miss the inspiration of the old posters.

Nice finds. I moved to Georgia from good ole Ware. I wasn't into detecting back then but every time I see a post out of New England I sure wish I was.

I don't miss having to repeat where I'm from every time someone asks and I'd say Ware. Then they'd say where? And I'd say....

Awesome coins though. Around here I feel lucky if I can save a silver from the 1920s..

Nice finds. I moved to Georgia from good ole Ware. I wasn't into detecting back then but every time I see a post out of New England I sure wish I was.

I don't miss having to repeat where I'm from every time someone asks and I'd say Ware. Then they'd say where? And I'd say....

Awesome coins though. Around here I feel lucky if I can save a silver from the 1920s..

Thanks for the comment. Ware are you from? ;)

I just moved here from New Jersey, which spoiled me with old finds. I thought it couldn't get any better... but it did when I moved to Massachusetts. I have yet to find some old silver here, though. I won't feel satisfied until I do!

Great finds Elad! I'm particularly fascinated with the hoe. I checked my book "Colonial Plantation Hoes of Tidewater Virginia" and I could not find anything that came close to matching yours. The eye diamter of the hoe is rather small so it possible its from the post-colonial period. It also doesn't have the typical spine you normally see on colonial period hoes. I also find that the humps on both shoulders are very unique. You need to perform electrolysis on your hoe to clean it up and preserve it. It's possible that would reveal a maker's mark. Congrats again on a very successful hunt.

Great finds Elad! I'm particularly fascinated with the hoe. I checked my book "Colonial Plantation Hoes of Tidewater Virginia" and I could not find anything that came close to matching yours. The eye diamter of the hoe is rather small so it possible its from the post-colonial period. It also doesn't have the typical spine you normally see on colonial period hoes. I also find that the humps on both shoulders are very unique. You need to perform electrolysis on your hoe to clean it up and preserve it. It's possible that would reveal a maker's mark. Congrats again on a very successful hunt.

Hi Bill. The fact that you have a book on colonial hoes (huh huh) made me both giggle and amazed at the same time.

On a serious note, I couldn't find any other examples of this hoe either, at least not on the internet. I do plan to do electrolysis, I just need to fashion something that can handle such a large piece of metal. Up until now I have only done electrolysis on coin sized objects. What volts/amps should I aim for?

For large items like hoes I use a car battery charger. They usually have a switch for using either 6 or 12 volts, and either will work fine. You can't control the amperage - it will vary depending on how corroded your item is. Usually the amp draw is very low at the start and gradually increases as the item becomes cleaner and also due to having more suspended solids which conduct electricity better. If you send me a PM with your email address I can forward a detailed write-up I did a few years ago with step-by-step instructions describing how I do things.

Your post reminds me of home. I have a site near me that this spring I dug a 1723 Hibernia and within a week dug a colonial hoe.

Thanks for posting some old stuff !

VPR

Your post reminds me of home. I have a site near me that this spring I dug a 1723 Hibernia and within a week dug a colonial hoe.

Thanks for posting some old stuff !

VPR

Ain't New England great?! Happy to share my finds, always. :D

WTG
I can read without hating - I got 4 in one hole in Ma. woods yrs back

those are great finds, shold be more in that field by the size of it in your picture

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back