What's new

Double Eagle Flask *** NEW PICS***

jgas

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
3,826
Reaction score
2,753
Golden Thread
1
Location
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I posted this in Today's Finds as well. My Holy Grail, Double Eagle.....

What a great day of digging!!!! My personal best bottle to date.
 

Attachments

  • sc 1.webp
    sc 1.webp
    54 KB · Views: 533
  • sc 2.webp
    sc 2.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 499
  • sc 3.webp
    sc 3.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 494
  • sc 8.webp
    sc 8.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 492
  • sc 6.webp
    sc 6.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 512
  • sc 10.webp
    sc 10.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 498
  • sc 13.webp
    sc 13.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 513
  • sc 19.webp
    sc 19.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 499
  • sc 12.webp
    sc 12.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 506
  • sc 11.webp
    sc 11.webp
    39 KB · Views: 505
  • sc 2.webp
    sc 2.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 518
  • sc 1.webp
    sc 1.webp
    54 KB · Views: 496
  • sc 3.webp
    sc 3.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 506
  • sc 19.webp
    sc 19.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 517
  • sc 12.webp
    sc 12.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 511
  • sc 11.webp
    sc 11.webp
    39 KB · Views: 512
  • sc 10.webp
    sc 10.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 497
  • sc 6.webp
    sc 6.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 505
  • sc 8.webp
    sc 8.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 510
  • sc 13.webp
    sc 13.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 497
Re: Double Eagle Flask

Truly amazing and and thrilling!
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

Stellar finds Jgas :icon_thumleft:

No utilities near this one? :laughing7: ( gotta mess with ya' just a bit )

DJH
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

I'm intrigued; does that say Pittsburgh, PA on it? What was the product and who produced it? When?
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

Please educate the ignorant...what makes this so special?
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

jgas, I told you to keep going, that something good was gonna come to light soon. And it did! You need to get acquainted with a tumbler guy. More pics please. If you would, show that baby in a sunlit background, thru a window, don't hold it. Nice bright back lighting will make the piece electric. It will make a banner pic, making the bottle "pop" and really let the details shine. If pontiled, please oblige a pic. Money-wise, I would not consider this bottle as your best find to date. I believe the Elk's Pride booze may be a better candidate. Speaking of, whatever happened to that killer?

I have voted Banner for this flask, very nice color on this piece, very nice.
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

Thanks for the replies everyone. This has been a bottle on my wish list as a digger. I am sure that there are a few others out there that would say the same. The flask is a snap case type, no pontil. I do need to get a killer photo of it with the back light. I will post some new pics of it soon.

Gleaner, the Elks Pride I have is of course one heck of a find for me too. Don't worry, I still have it. It will be going to the highest bidder soon if ya know what I mean. :) Thanks for the banner knods as well. This is one of those finds that I will never forget.

Romeo and Halfdime, what makes it special is that they are almost always shattered in the pits, they are called historical flasks, the mark is Pittsburgh Pa. Without going into to much detail, I searched Historical Flasks on google and read a bit about them. Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate it. Happy digging....jgas
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

jgas, I want first "digs" on buying that Elk's booze. I want any "privy" information you have concerning its possible sale.
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

Great flask J....I would NEVER tumble such a beautiful and clean example, after 135 years in the ground it deserves to show it's age a little. Please don't do a Joan Rivers on it !!!!!
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

Again a sweet looking bottle. Being that I'm not a bottle expert or even know anything about them, I decided to look up Historical Flasks on the net and came up with this one.

http://www.rtam.com/agg/cgi-bin/SHOWITEM.CGI

Eagle / “Pittsburgh / PA” – Eagle Historical Flask, Pittsburgh district, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1860 – 1870. Yellowish olive amber, applied mouth with flat band – smooth base, pint, near mint; (two tiny pinhead flakes on narrow vertical rib at side and some faint interior residue that may wash out). GII-105. A fine example and a little more difficult to find than the related GII-106 mold.

Winning Bid: $ 245

Estimate: $ 200 - $ 400


Bidding Ended


Is yours the Yellowish olive amber or is it a Green? As someone else mentioned earlier, I to would like to see a photo with the backlight shining through it.

DJH
 
Re: Double Eagle Flask

Thanks all.....I will surely try to get a better picture with the backlight. Its harder that it sounds :dontknow:.....Thanks for the Banner votes and cheers DJH...It was a crazy remarkable find. It is definately green. Not sure whether its Olive or Emerald though. Thanks again for the remarks everyone. jgas
 
Some new cleaned up bottle pics.....
 

Attachments

  • f2.webp
    f2.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 434
  • f3.webp
    f3.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 416
  • f4.webp
    f4.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 434
  • f1.webp
    f1.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 425
  • f5.webp
    f5.webp
    21 KB · Views: 409
  • f7.webp
    f7.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 421
  • f6.webp
    f6.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 430
  • f1.webp
    f1.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 416
  • f2.webp
    f2.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 429
  • f3.webp
    f3.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 418
  • f4.webp
    f4.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 428
  • f5.webp
    f5.webp
    21 KB · Views: 427
  • f6.webp
    f6.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 421
  • f7.webp
    f7.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 415
Sweet looking find! :icon_thumright: Love that color.

Congrats on the great find(s) and making the Banner. :headbang: :headbang:
 
jgas that Hostetter's looks wet shiny attic qualiy mint. The green flask could use a day or two in the tumbler, it would come out wet shiny attic quality mint, like the Hostetter's. In all cases where a bottle is professionally cleaned (tumbled, polished), the value of the piece is SIGNIFICANTLY increased. That amber pickle you got not long ago is a prime candidate for polishing. Once again, CONGRATS to jgas on his second banner bottle. Now, the Elk's booze is a banner too, when the numbers come it, it will make banner I'm sure.
 
Thanks Gleaner, I have been very lucky this season. I should say Don and I have been lucky this year. I do have a guy that can tumble them too so that will be something we shall do in the off season. Thank God for pictures because I would be carrying the bottles around all day staring at them. :tongue3: jgas
 
gleaner1 said:
jgas that Hostetter's looks wet shiny attic qualiy mint. The green flask could use a day or two in the tumbler, it would come out wet shiny attic quality mint, like the Hostetter's. In all cases where a bottle is professionally cleaned (tumbled, polished), the value of the piece is SIGNIFICANTLY increased. That amber pickle you got not long ago is a prime candidate for polishing. Once again, CONGRATS to jgas on his second banner bottle. Now, the Elk's booze is a banner too, when the numbers come it, it will make banner I'm sure.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement "the value of the piece is SIGNIFICANTLY increased", many buyer and collectors are also turned off by tumbling a bottle that looks this good to start with....IMHO....Jim
 
Oh, the flask I will most likely leave well enough alone...Too scared to tumble that one in fear it may crack..Now the Hostetters and others I will give them a go. I really think the flask is in superb condition for being 135 years old or so. I could not have asked for a better find. :thumbsup: Thanks for the replies. jgas
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom