What's new

Smallest Open Pontil bottle?

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
886
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Posted my smallest open pontil bottle on FB today and wondered what other collectors here might have. Please post up your smallest open pontil bottle.

Here is one I sifted while digging a very old house site in New Orleans in the late 90s. It is 35mm or 1 3/8" tall. I'm guessing a pill bottle.
 

Attachments

  • tinybottle.webp
    tinybottle.webp
    56 KB · Views: 76
I have a few small vials, most not pontil-scarred. Some I think were used for laudanum. No doubt, these vials (a specialty of the glass-blowers' trade) were single-use containers.
Here's a tiny bottle with a glass-tipped pontil scar:
perfume_vanilla_A.webp
perfume_vanilla_B.webp
perfume_vanilla_C.webp
 
We would call those type of bottles “puffs”, don’t ask me why???
We would usually find them longer, but I did have some tiny ones like yours. We always assumed it was a pill bottle.
All came out of privy’s.
 
We would call those type of bottles “puffs”, don’t ask me why???
We would usually find them longer, but I did have some tiny ones like yours. We always assumed it was a pill bottle.
All came out of privy’s.
Agree about privies. In this case it was a very unusual dig in that we were finding everything along the drip line of where the house had been. About 18" of compacted dark soil. Metal detected a green blob, bounced it off the shovel to knock the dirt off; when it popped open I was looking at the inside of what had been a badly corroded Louisiana coat button with pelican and baby chicks :icon_pale:. Got some iron pontil squat sodas out of that site too. Very fun dig. and a great memory Site had a building put over it shortly after our dig.
 
I have never dug a privy, so it's interesting to hear your stories. Somewhere in my long history of collecting I picked up this little vial. I have not seen another like it . . . have you?

vial square C.webp
vial square A.webp
vial ssquare B.webp
 
I have never dug a privy, so it's interesting to hear your stories. Somewhere in my long history of collecting I picked up this little vial. I have not seen another like it . . . have you?

View attachment 2266189View attachment 2266190View attachment 2266191
Yes, the round style was very common to find in mid 19th century privy’s, in the Baltimore area. Don’t remember to many square ones though.
I was surprised that they came out of the hole intact, they seem so fragile!
 
I have never dug a privy, so it's interesting to hear your stories. Somewhere in my long history of collecting I picked up this little vial. I have not seen another like it . . . have you?

View attachment 2266189View attachment 2266190View attachment 2266191

I found one exactly like that, only different;D. Damn Harry I thought I was the King of wrinkled fingers :laughing7:

In the late 90s I was in a lot just north of New Orleans that was being used to dump dirt spoils from a construction site somewhere (was never able to find out where). There were piles of very dark muddy soil that became crumbly after it was drying out in the sun and I was metal detecting the dirt. I spotted the base of a 5" bottle sticking out of the dirt and carefully dug it out. There were two amazing things about the bottle I found, It is a very thin glass bottle that somehow survived the trip to the dirt lot, and it still contained it's original contents with cork in place. The contents was a dark purple granular matter. I should have left the contents inside but cleaned it out anyway. The bottle is open pontil and four sided with channels. Guess that would make it 8 sided?
 

Attachments

  • thinBTL1.webp
    thinBTL1.webp
    635.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thinBTL2.webp
    thinBTL2.webp
    283.8 KB · Views: 10
  • thinBTL.webp
    thinBTL.webp
    560.9 KB · Views: 8
I went digging through some old photos of my privy digging days ( early- mid 90’s).
Here are two photos, you will notice a number of “puffs” in the pics.
Looking through these makes me want to dig privy’s again, but my back says “ the hell you are”😄
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1039.webp
    IMG_1039.webp
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1041.webp
    IMG_1041.webp
    935.9 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom