Down to 2 Choices for New Nugget Detector.....Suggestions??

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I had a very well known buddy here who swore by the tesoro Lobo super track. He was a dealer as well, and could choose any detector he wished. He stuck with the Tesoro. I've never tried either one, but I hope this helps.

kelly

Greenie
Nov 16, 2003
Socorro N.M.
Detector(s) used
GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure you get a good one the first time, I have seen to many people buy a detector then find out they should of got a different one. You don't want to go through a bunch of detectors and find out you should have paid a little more to get the right one first. The pros in AZ will tell you to get a $3000 minelab, thats ok if you are going to nugget shoot full time and live right by a good nugget patch, If I had the money to get what I wanted, it would be a Gold bug 2 for around here in New Mexico, and a GP 3500 minelab for AZ. But I don't have that kind of money, thats why I have a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger. It works fine here in N.M.. I have tried it out in AZ and it will work, but not like the minelabs. It just depends on how much are you really going to nugget shoot, And if you want to coin and relic shoot also, My detector will do all of the above. You said you allready have a Garrett? Well there is your coin and relic detector, so get you a gold only detector like a Gold bug 2.

Kelly
Socorro N.M.

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
TXKajun,
If money is the problem then stick with the Bug 2. I have owned the Bug as well as the Bug 2. However I also run a GP 3500. It does not matter if your in NM or AZ you will find areas where the Bug or any other VLF just will not cut it. You will find heavy mineralized soil with areas that contain hundreds if not thousands of hot rocks. And it will drive the machine nuts.

Not knocking the VLF's as I still use mine and it has found many, many nuggets, and there is still a lot of ground out there where they work great. Its just that they cannot compare with the Minelabs when it comes to tough soil and they will not come even close in the depth dept.

However I find the Bug very easy to use, not any hugh learning curve, its very light with the 6" coil [I also have the 10"] and you can swing it all day using either coil. It will pidk up very tiny pieces of gold. And it does not cost much. I think they run in the $700.00 range.

The ML 3500 that I have cost over $3300.00 plus I didnt like the weight of the batt. pk. so added lit.ion pack for another $279.00, but its been worth every penny to me.

You may want to consider looking at Clevengers Detector Sales--8206 North Oak--Kansas City, Mo. 64118
PH 816-436-0697 or 800-999-9147

Sometimes he has some real deals. Also has a line of used detectors as well as demo's at a reduced price and carry a warranty. Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
TXKajun

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Bob, thanks tons for the recommendation, but late last night I purchased a new Minelab Eureka Gold. For what I plan to use it for and the frequency of use, the Minelab is just what I need......and it was definitely on my "short list". Err, anytime you want to get together and show me just how good your machines are, let me know! ;D I'm always up for a lesson.

HH, ya'll!

OP
OP
TXKajun

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Heya, cougar jim! Thanks for the response. Yeah, that kelly definitely hit the nail right on the head. But that darn guy seems to do it way often, too! :o He and I have been in touch since I got my Minelab and he's been a great help to this tenderfoot newbie when it comes to gold hunting.

Welcome to the world of treasurenet, too! Always nice to see a new face on the forum.

HH, ya'll!

Kajun

cougar jim

Greenie
Feb 7, 2006
Klamath Falls Oregon
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites GM3, Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Thanks TXKajun for the welcome. I don't have any experience with the Minelab Eureka Gold but I hear it is a good one. I have been in this prospecting business for more years than I care to remember but you never stop learning and these forums is a good place to learn.
I am trying to make up my mind between two detectors (Whites MXT or the GMT)They both have the ability to follow black sand, that's what I am looking for.I plan on doing some pocket mining in southwest Oregon and that's how you find the pockets, where the black sand pools up.Take care.
Jim
[/size][/size][/size][size=10pt]

kelly

Greenie
Nov 16, 2003
Socorro N.M.
Detector(s) used
GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Cougar Jim,
Nice to meet you. Your in a good place there to find some gold. I have some friends who use the MXT, and its a gold finding detector, You are right about looking for that black sand. I allways look for it and Quartz, most of the time gold is nearby. I wish you luck and hope you find a big nugget,
Kelly
Socorro N.M.

Willy

Hey Jim! If you're into hard core nuggetshooting, I'd go for the GMT. If you want coins/rings/nuggets.. the MXT is the better choice. The GMT will find much smaller stuff and pop tiny stuff when there's nothing else around. Actually, a Garrett Ace 250 & a GMT would be a winning combo. I had the MXT and found a lot of gold with it in AK., sold it and now have the GMT. I'm thinking about getting a lightweight coinshooter to complement it. Also looking at the Tesoro ID detectors. They can be used for nuggethunting in a pinch (external GB mod on the Golden uMax) . Something lightweight that can be broken down into 3 pieces and hauled in a rucksack while I'm nuggethunting. If a campsite or homestead is uncovered, the GMT can rest while the coin machine comes out. ...Willy.

N

NewbMtlDetectr

Hey guys,

I thought it would be fun to take an MXT and find lots of black sand, then pull out a pulse unit and go to town. I am sure others have thought of this and have had a few good days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread