dowsing a meteor

Azaware

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2003
Hi All

I use to work with Al Osborn anyone know him? He use to post he all the time. Well he show me how to dowse. A few years has past and I haven't work with it in that time. Anyways I saw a meteor fall from my house. It was one of those slow ones falling. There's a pretty good chance it fall in the desert. I can't say how far away it was maybe 10 miles. I think when you know it there then dowsing works better. I mapped dowse it and was unable to pin it down. I have it in an area of about 1/2 miles x 4 miles. It would be nice if I could get some help. thanks.

Kim

OP
OP
A

Azaware

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2003
Hey

Well I'll give it a try.

Attachments

• NP.jpg
    NP.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 295

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Sorry Kim...good as I can do...Looks like I'm in a housing area. When I got that far all I could get was I don't know answers..Art

Attachments

• Kim 1.JPG
    Kim 1.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 299

Sandsted

Apr 20, 2006
If you notice your dowsing working better when you know the target fell there...this would be because you have boosted confidence. You don't wonder if your looking for something that isn't there. Dowsing is dependent on confidence.

G

Gluk

I got it down to here... if i'm wrong you can slap me- it was very strong.

Attachments

• index[6].jpg
    index[6].jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 256
OP
OP
A

Azaware

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2003
Hey Gluk

From where I was standing in my yard I know right where it fell. I been working with some maps trying to get a line from where I was, to the direction of where it fell. In the first picture I was thinking that the line was a few miles to the west. I think I got that line really close now. It looks like you might be right on it. 8) Here's a new map does it look like it's in the same place? If I can find this I sure will cut you in on it. But the story might be wroth more then the meteor. ;D

Kim

Attachments

• NoMeteor.jpg
    NoMeteor.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 230

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: dowsing a meteor,read Rocks From Space book?

According to the book Rocks From Space, it is nearly impossible for a single ground observer of a meteorite fall to pinpoint the location of impact.You need at least 3 eyewitness accounts so you can triangulate. Ask your neighbors if any of them saw it and people across town even more so.For all you know, the meteor may never have hit and burned up? You should ask the dowsing if it actually did hit the ground or burned up in the air ? Did you hear a sonic boom or multiple booms? That is a good clue for a possible impact. I saw a meteor myself a couple years ago, flew over my truck at night while I was cruising down Interstate 55 near Streator, Illinois.Looked like a giant size Roman candle with a green ball of fire and a short white tail.But the light went out as it was directly overhead. My book says when the light goes out, that rock can still be 5-10 miles high so it could easily have landed miles from where I saw it last, from its momentum, ditto for your meteor. Eyewitness accounts of meteor landing spots are almost always wrong unless people from several different areas saw it and the approx direction they saw it flying can be plotted on a map, then you might be able to triangulate and get an idea of where the landing was, IF it occurred. Most meteors burn up in the air I am told. Even a small one can make a good size fireball and light show before it burns up. Good luck.You can buy Rocks From Space on Amazon,cost around 15 bucks.

--Tom

OP
OP
A

Azaware

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2003
Hi Tom and All

My elev is 1300 ft and where it hit is around 2100ft. Not sure if I ever seen one fall like this one did. It was just falling straight down really slow. Where I was at, it fall between the two houses across the street. So I lost is at the fence level. With the ground being about 800 ft higher and at the point I lost it, there's a good chance it hit. Anyways that why I'm here :) maybe the only way to find it is with dowsing. I'll ask one more time. In the picture I'm at about the 10 miles mark away from my house. In this area there's a lot of desert with houses around. I dowsed a few spots in this area but have pin pointed it down. Anyone want to give it a try?

thanks
Kim

Attachments

• NoMeteor2.jpg
    NoMeteor2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 189

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sorry,

My dowsing is indicating no meteor seen by Kim is on this map.I think it burned up myself. But my expertise is finding native gold deposits on maps so I may not be so good at determining meteorites? I have some spots to check out near me I marked on maps for the Park Forest ,Illinois meteorite that hit 3 years ago. This was seen by hundreds of people and many pieces were recovered. I have a fragment I bought off Ebay. It looks a lot like a rock I picked up in the soybean field next to where I live.This rock is smooth, slightly pyramid shaped with a large flat side, thin black crust ,but where the combine hit it, it is dull grey under the black crust, just like my Park Forest meteorite fragment. Guess I better get it examined? My piece is not magnetic that I can tell and the Park Forest fragment is, so thats not a good sign.
Good luck.

--Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread