Dr Hayes treasure of Webber Falls. Oklahoma

Stmoritz

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2008
Fort Gibson Oklahoma
As told by Mr. R. P. Vann in his memories of life growing up.

I married a daughter of Alex Foreman who was a brother of the Rev. Stephen Foreman. My wife's brother was Bullet Foreman. When we were married we went to live at the Junction of the Canadian and Arkansas rivers on what was known as the Dr. Hayes place.

Dr. Hayes kept a store, ferry, boat landing and warehouse for goods on the bank of the Arkansas River. It was generally understood that Dr. Hayes buried about fifteen or twenty thousand dollars in gold when the war broke out and he had to leave for the Chickasaw Nation. After the war was over he came back in 1866 to find his money and dig it up. He brought a man with him and they stayed over on the other side of the river for several days watching some hostile Indians called "Pins" who were camped in the neighborhood of his home and where his money was buried. These campers had five wagons with sheets over them and Dr. Hayes was afraid to venture where they were and after his provisions

Page 842

were gone he gave up and went back to the Chickasaw Nation with the intention of returning in the fall. But in a short time after reaching home Dr. Hayes had a sudden illness in which he fell dead. The man who was with him later came back and told me about it but the money has never been found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread