Draped bust cent, silver earring, hand grenade fuses and scout camp variety pack

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the college to detect. I havenā€™t been there in eight months, but decided it was time to go back and see if I could have any luck. I started a loose grid in a section that I havenā€™t covered completely in the past and did a little wandering around trying to see if anything new had been lost. It turns out that the football field and some of the areas where things are lost on a regular basis but they didnā€™t show signs of being used and weā€™re pretty empty.

I spent 4.5 hours with the CZ21 and found 39 coins with a face value of $2.60, an earring, a large cent, 3 metal beads, 2 hand grenade fuses, a toy car, tabs and a pile of can slaw.

4A15FE14-D3C2-4CD1-9BE1-31D304B8F14A.jpeg

I got a weak signal high tone and dug a decent size plug about 10 inches down and nothing in the plug. I put the pin pointer in the hole and yeah whatever it was was still in the center of the hole so I cut another 6 inch plug out of the bottom of the hole and the target was in the plug. I broke the plug apart and out, popped a large cent. It was crusty and you could see were it had been hit by a plow or heavy equipment. I couldnā€™t see any details on it but it was a largie. When I got home I toothpicked it a little bit I was able to tell from the wreath on the back that it was a draped bust. A little work on the front and you could see the outline of the bust and part of the hair ribbon, but the date is totally gone so no way of knowing what the exact date is. It was minted between 1796 and 1807. I believe this is the first draped bust large cent I have dug. I have found several draped bust half cents but I think this may be the first large cent.

71F5C067-23A2-411D-BBAE-818AF80502F7.jpeg

42322B93-3F1E-4224-9C16-643BCB7A2BD0.jpeg

The earring is nothing great, but silver always brings a smile to my face no matter how small it is. The beads looked silver at first, but the plating has worn off parts and you can see the copper underneath.

7EA59E3B-A955-43BB-AA4E-81DD133F40A0.jpeg

I have no idea how or why hand grenade fuses got on the college campus, but I found 2 others not far from this spot about 4 years ago. There may have been some military maneuvers here before the college was built but no way to know for sure. Itā€™s a mystery.

15E62398-CCAD-4F8E-9422-82324FA7CC95.jpeg

I took my weekly trip to the Scout camp. I finished up a site I had started before and did a quick walk around in a site that I havenā€™t detected for a while, which was kind of a bust, not much there and then I went to the parade field on the Cub Scout camp. I did a quick check and had a little bit of luck there.

The campsite I finished up was pretty heavy and pegs 49 in 2 1/2 hours. The other two sites were not nearly as heavy and pegs.

In 6 hours I found 79 coins with a face value of $7.10, 63 camp tent pegs, the brass part of a knife holder for a belt, a hat pin back, an arrowhead pendant (cheap metal), a fake cob coin, a game spinner, a Cub Scout belt loop, a rope tensioner, a neckerchief slide, 4 of the sun bust and shield tokens, part of a fishing lure, sinkers, a few tabs, some melted aluminum and miscellaneous junk.

1377B527-B37A-4B22-A2E4-93B706641409.jpeg

5EDCBF07-C8CC-4A3F-BA2D-7859CEC4D8A7.jpeg

Not a great day, but a real nice variety of finds. Variety does make for a fun hunt even if they arenā€™t valuable or old.

We are going camping with our daughter and family at a state park that usually gives up some silver in the swimming area. I will post those results separately.

A decent start for the week, hopefully it will be good this weekend. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 15
I went back to the college to detect. I havenā€™t been there in eight months, but decided it was time to go back and see if I could have any luck. I started a loose grid in a section that I havenā€™t covered completely in the past and did a little wandering around trying to see if anything new had been lost. It turns out that the football field and some of the areas where things are lost on a regular basis but they didnā€™t show signs of being used and weā€™re pretty empty.

I spent 4.5 hours with the CZ21 and found 39 coins with a face value of $2.60, an earring, a large cent, 3 metal beads, 2 hand grenade fuses, a toy car, tabs and a pile of can slaw.

View attachment 2053131

I got a weak signal high tone and dug a decent size plug about 10 inches down and nothing in the plug. I put the pin pointer in the hole and yeah whatever it was was still in the center of the hole so I cut another 6 inch plug out of the bottom of the hole and the target was in the plug. I broke the plug apart and out, popped a large cent. It was crusty and you could see were it had been hit by a plow or heavy equipment. I couldnā€™t see any details on it but it was a largie. When I got home I toothpicked it a little bit I was able to tell from the wreath on the back that it was a draped bust. A little work on the front and you could see the outline of the bust and part of the hair ribbon, but the date is totally gone so no way of knowing what the exact date is. It was minted between 1796 and 1807. I believe this is the first draped bust large cent I have dug. I have found several draped bust half cents but I think this may be the first large cent.

View attachment 2053129

View attachment 2053130

The earring is nothing great, but silver always brings a smile to my face no matter how small it is. The beads looked silver at first, but the plating has worn off parts and you can see the copper underneath.

View attachment 2053132

I have no idea how or why hand grenade fuses got on the college campus, but I found 2 others not far from this spot about 4 years ago. There may have been some military maneuvers here before the college was built but no way to know for sure. Itā€™s a mystery.

View attachment 2053133

I took my weekly trip to the Scout camp. I finished up a site I had started before and did a quick walk around in a site that I havenā€™t detected for a while, which was kind of a bust, not much there and then I went to the parade field on the Cub Scout camp. I did a quick check and had a little bit of luck there.

The campsite I finished up was pretty heavy and pegs 49 in 2 1/2 hours. The other two sites were not nearly as heavy and pegs.

In 6 hours I found 79 coins with a face value of $7.10, 63 camp tent pegs, the brass part of a knife holder for a belt, a hat pin back, an arrowhead pendant (cheap metal), a fake cob coin, a game spinner, a Cub Scout belt loop, a rope tensioner, a neckerchief slide, 4 of the sun bust and shield tokens, part of a fishing lure, sinkers, a few tabs, some melted aluminum and miscellaneous junk.

View attachment 2053134

View attachment 2053135

Not a great day, but a real nice variety of finds. Variety does make for a fun hunt even if they arenā€™t valuable or old.

We are going camping with our daughter and family at a state park that usually gives up some silver in the swimming area. I will post those results separately.

A decent start for the week, hopefully it will be good this weekend. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Now I know what grenade fuses look like... glad they weren't connected to a grenade....looks like you were a busy digger... congratulations on your first large cent!

View attachment 2053131

View attachment 2053129

View attachment 2053130

View attachment 2053132

View attachment 2053133

View attachment 2053134

View attachment 2053135

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

View attachment 2053131

View attachment 2053129

View attachment 2053130

View attachment 2053132

View attachment 2053133

View attachment 2053134

View attachment 2053135

Awesome day of hunting and I love that draped Largie. Congratulations

View attachment 2053131

View attachment 2053129

View attachment 2053130

View attachment 2053132

View attachment 2053133

View attachment 2053134

View attachment 2053135

Congrats on all of it, but especially the draped bust large cent! Iā€™ve never dug a large cent, let alone one of that era!

Congrats on all of it, but especially the draped bust large cent! Iā€™ve never dug a large cent, let alone one of that era!
Thanks to all. TomW244 keep swingin and diggin and you will find your largie sooner or later. They are not a common find around here, but they do pop up occasionally. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

View attachment 2053131

View attachment 2053129

View attachment 2053130

View attachment 2053132

View attachment 2053133

View attachment 2053134

View attachment 2053135

How much for the car and the boyscout thing?

Nice DBLC, but what amazes me is the "several draped bust half cents" statement. I'm in Mass and have found 2 in 31 years, so I'd say that is quite the feat- Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back