Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know of any places to get cheap hose ,if you find one please post . I have had to use duct tape on many occasions ,saved my butt a few times...... my old hose had two layers , all the way down ... got my money's worth out of that one !

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What size hose are you looking for 2" 3"?
There are afew sites that sell suction hose but they are not cheap compared to what you can get from a hose supply shop in your town. To order from a manufacturer you need to buy 50-100ft rolls at once though you may be able to get lucky and score an already cut piece, remember shipping costs.
The hose needs to be flexible and see through to help spot plug ups.
CGC

OP
OP
enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx, I'm needing a 3". Didn't think about local hose supplier. duh. Hey Strick, thought about the duct tape also, wasn't sure it would work or not.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, duct tape is the ticket!! :thumbsup: I never head off dredging without it! If need be, you can duct tape a pretty big gash and stick a couple hose clamps over it - works for years! As far as "cheap suction hose," I'll suggest that you don't skimp on that. If you buy used, you'll be getting someone else's leaky hose. If you try to buy something of a lesser quality, you'll be buying again before long. Go "all out" and get you some real suction hose, even if you have to bite the bullet (ie, high price) from Keene or hunt down Keene's supplier and get it for a bit less, perhaps.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck! Duct tape is cheap!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanaflex 151 is the answer and can be bought at ag/farm/hydro/and hose resalers too. KEENE is tissue paper thin 1 season junk and much too expensive. Pay 1/4 the price and get 100 x the quality with good kanaflex the industry standard for over 35 years-John

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Hoser John said:
Kanaflex 151 is the answer and can be bought at ag/farm/hydro/and hose resalers too. KEENE is tissue paper thin 1 season junk and much too expensive. Pay 1/4 the price and get 100 x the quality with good kanaflex the industry standard for over 35 years-John

:thumbsup:

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
last dredge i bought from keene bros came with kana 155,cant recall if i special ordered that.overall a tuff hose.not sure that thickness between the helix ribbing more than my tigerflex hose.but feels tougher anyway.combo of oversized jet connection/better nozzle habits allowing me to use the tigerflex hose,clear,which i like,less of an anaconda to wrestle in cols water.especially suction nozzle(no swivel nozzle)my best luck retail supplier has been armadillo mining,grants pass oregon.they do good biz.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased new 20' of 4" inch from Armadillo Mining Shop this year and they smoked Keenes price.
I did see a brand new 20' hose for a 4" dredge on craigslist awhile back, for half of what I paid. Just a day late and a dollar short as usual. Might look there!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
By the way--if you have to do an emergency repair job in the field, and still want some transparency to see plugs (not completely transparent, but at least it lets light pass through), use hockey shin-pad tape. It comes in decent sized rolls--it's transparent, tough, and man does it stay on!! I had to use it the season before last--my hose started to split and crack, I was in the gold fields, the hose was taking on air any place it was above the surface--it was a real mess.

I had a roll of shin-pad tape with me--worked like a dream--it's sticky, stretches, and it really gets down into those grooves between the ribs. I went home for a few days and took back a couple of more rolls with me--saved my bacon until I could get a new hose. Do an Internet search for the stuff--transparent shin-pad tape/hockey tape--you should get some hits.

***Addendum: www.FindTape.com and search for Shin Pad Tape.***

All the best,

Lanny

As others do, I affectionately, and spitefully call my dredge-hose The Anaconda:

Attachments

• The anaconda.jpg
    The anaconda.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,150

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOP IS THE ANSWER,just a little shoe goop glue and your good to go for the next 10 years with good quality hose,flexible ,watertight but bulletproof :laughing7: -John

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Yea what ever it takes.....packing in duct tape or goop is a lot easier.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of good info here.

I have a question. Can layflat hose be used effectively as a pressure hose for a suction nozzle?

I'm interested in being able to use a suction nozzle instead of the power jet. The area I will be working has all fine gold and I'm worried that power jet will undo all layering that has occured in the run through the hose.

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jason, yes lay flat hose can work as pressure hose to your suction nozzle, sometimes it has to be that way as it is almost impossible to carry in a really long solid hose if pump has to be any distance from nozzle. That solid hose gets heavy too, and adds another trip to the carry in phase. Lay flat is often how it has to be in smaller creeks, because of limited space and or water. Picture in my thread "Let Dredging Begin".
It's a lot more hassle though, as you are always having to reposition hose when you move even slightly, as it kinks and twists much more easily. So if you are only carrying a short distance, and you can put the pump within 7 to 10 yards of the nozzle it's better to use solid hose in my opinion. I tend to use lay flat as it's what I've got, originally for my highbanker, still waiting to be finished. Nuggy

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser John said:
GOOP IS THE ANSWER,just a little shoe goop glue and your good to go for the next 10 years with good quality hose,flexible ,watertight but bulletproof :laughing7: -John

John--great advice--I've used it many times for the hose, my wetsuit, boots, gloves--essential stuff. My hose had so many cracks that I ran out of goop! So, that's what made me desperate enough to try the shin-pad tape, and it worked like a charm. Hope to see you posting again soon.

All the best,

Lanny

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pic Lanny! That river looks real inviting with the bedrock sloping into the creek. And your gun to warn bears and highgraders, nice.
CGC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nuggy said:
Hi Jason, yes lay flat hose can work as pressure hose to your suction nozzle, sometimes it has to be that way as it is almost impossible to carry in a really long solid hose if pump has to be any distance from nozzle. That solid hose gets heavy too, and adds another trip to the carry in phase. Lay flat is often how it has to be in smaller creeks, because of limited space and or water. Picture in my thread "Let Dredging Begin".
It's a lot more hassle though, as you are always having to reposition hose when you move even slightly, as it kinks and twists much more easily. So if you are only carrying a short distance, and you can put the pump within 7 to 10 yards of the nozzle it's better to use solid hose in my opinion. I tend to use lay flat as it's what I've got, originally for my highbanker, still waiting to be finished. Nuggy

Hey there Nuggy--nice post reply there--I learned a few more tricks from your writings. You sure are knowledgeable and possess a great understanding of dredging. You've given me some ideas for things I'd like to try--and believe me, I've got all kinds of time to plot out plans for next dredge season.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CGC Miner said:
Awesome pic Lanny! That river looks real inviting with the bedrock sloping into the creek. And your gun to warn bears and highgraders, nice.
CGC

Thanks CGC--it's a beautiful place to enjoy, and the gold is beautiful too. And yes, the gun is a comforting thing to have along. As well, it's stainless steel, nickel coated, with all synthetic stocks--excellent gun to have around water. The Remington Marine--highly recommend it as is in it's defender configuration--holds 8 12-gauge rounds for maximum punch.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacles,testicles,wallet and watch ya never go mining without a sidearm strapped near your crotch--.357 mag fulla shredders is my cup a tea--John :headbang:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny,I have the exact same dredge,you dont see the old yeller floats much any more(I painted mine too,same color!) Kana flex all the way,Keene is a rip off!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread