What's new

dredge material

steve71

Bronze Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
1,475
Reaction score
75
Golden Thread
0
Location
TX
this and fossil shark teeth and other fossils were dug up.was just wondering what it is. not the artifact butis it fossiizedl sea floor?
 

Attachments

  • DSC04722.webp
    DSC04722.webp
    219.6 KB · Views: 406
Looks like smoky quartz to me. How big is it? Are there any mountains or gravel pits close by?
HH zztop
 
Upvote 0
I respectfully disagree, I think the crystals are calcite. Look at the end of the crystals, they are four-sided where quartz would be hexagonal. Here in Miami, we used to pick these up associated with fossilized sea-shells dredged up in dredge-and-fill projects.

Chip V.
 
Upvote 0
chipveres said:
I respectfully disagree, I think the crystals are calcite. Look at the end of the crystals, they are four-sided where quartz would be hexagonal. Here in Miami, we used to pick these up associated with fossilized sea-shells dredged up in dredge-and-fill projects.

Chip V.

Is the artifact smokey quartz?

Difficult for me to judge whether the crystals are four-sided, however the cluster does look different from clustered crystal quartz rocks. I agree with Chip V. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
chipveres said:
I respectfully disagree, I think the crystals are calcite. Look at the end of the crystals, they are four-sided where quartz would be hexagonal. Here in Miami, we used to pick these up associated with fossilized sea-shells dredged up in dredge-and-fill projects.

Chip V.
yes you are correct i'm looking for this stuff
 

Attachments

  • DSC04525.webp
    DSC04525.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC04617.webp
    DSC04617.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC04525.webp
    DSC04525.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC04617.webp
    DSC04617.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom