Dredging a stream without a pump?

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, i saw in a clip on youtube a couple of guys dredging a stream onto a sluice. From what i would hear, and what i could see they didnt use a pump.

Anybody know what this is about?

Thanks in advance. :)

Perhaps gravity dredging

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hit the search here as many posts/pics and goldfarbs in action. All you need is a good flow and about 10' of drop into a good old stream sluice and good to go. Beforementioned posts have enough info to give ya brain overflow-John

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you need DROP within the confines of how much hose you own.
With our 4" gravity dredge [www.goldgold.com/gravitydredge] (currently not available) you should have a minimum of 4' of drop from the bottom of the upper hole going down to your sluice, NOT just from the waters surface of your upper hole. Anything less and you will lose your prime over time due to cracks/pinholes/coupler(s) leaking air into the hose.

Up's & down's as well as ANY bend in the hose will reduce suction and they add up quickly!

I didn't like the 'flat-hose-gate' as is tends to want to stay flat. We simply used a 4" plumbers plug (with the giant wing-nut) at the bottom, with the hose off the sluice-pipe inlet. (we are using an old crash-box sluice) Once all the air is out of the hose we release the plug and push the hose onto the inlet pipe. This usually allows us to leave the water running 3+ days straight and still check the box occasionally. We're thinking of going to a 4" ball valve but they aren't cheap!

We did one run near the end of our season, where we had 90+ feet of hose with a 6' drop and I swear that dredge could have suck-started a harley!!!

In our area (pretty far back into the wilderness) we usually stash the hose and sluice (minus the carpets/riffles) high enough up the bank that anglers and wardens haven't found them yet. Saves hauling everything in and out every time.

Buy your hose face to face [no shipping] and always buy in 100' length, it's cheaper!

Last edited:

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With our 4" gravity dredge [www.goldgold.com/gravitydredge] (currently not available) you should have a minimum of 4' of drop from the bottom of the upper hole going down to your sluice, NOT just from the waters surface of your upper hole. Anything less and you will lose your prime over time due to cracks/pinholes/coupler(s) leaking air into the hose.

Up's & down's as well as ANY bend in the hose will reduce suction and they add up quickly!

I didn't like the 'flat-hose-gate' as is tends to want to stay flat. We simply used a 4" plumbers plug (with the giant wing-nut) at the bottom, with the hose off the sluice-pipe inlet. (we are using an old crash-box sluice) Once all the air is out of the hose we release the plug and push the hose onto the inlet pipe. This usually allows us to leave the water running 3+ days straight and still check the box occasionally. We're thinking of going to a 4" ball valve but they aren't cheap!

We did one run near the end of our season, where we had 90+ feet of hose with a 6' drop and I swear that dredge could have suck-started a harley!!!

In our area (pretty far back into the wilderness) we usually stash the hose and sluice (minus the carpets/riffles) high enough up the bank that anglers and wardens haven't found them yet. Saves hauling everything in and out every time.

Buy your hose face to face [no shipping] and always buy in 100' length, it's cheaper!

good one with the face to face buyng of the hose.For a beginner they look all the same in pictures in the net.Finding the correct hose was a trauma of two months research and i ordered 2 times hoses not suitable for dredging.Lost also a bit of money on the second one.then i got to know a good hosesupplier and he invited me to his hoseparadise to take a look.Now he let me come to his company whenever i,m interessed in something new and i can fossick around in his warehouse.
i love my hoses.. extreme hose-heading 002.jpg

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

if you have no cracks or pinholes in the hose, you can dredge also with less drop than 4 feet.I dredged with 16 feet of hose and around 1.6 feet of drop.

Madjack,it would be great to see other gravity setups ,if you have pics i,m interessted.Ball valve would be a noble solution too,cause i have to detache the hose for cleanup in my current system,causes a lot of work.

cheers emilio

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread