Dredging and ear infections

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I have been noticing lately several people I know who dredge for gold in California have been getting ear infections.

It seems to be a common problem.

I was wondering if there is a way to prevent infections from happening.(like ear plugs)

This concerns me because where I will be dredging in the next year is a lot worse than California, as far as stuff (bacteria, pollution, etc,).

Any ideas ?

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Don't use earplugs, they'll trap water in there and cause infections.

When you're done dredging for the day, simply swab out the ear with a little rubbing alcohol.

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Being a commercial diver for 50+ years has taught
me alot about ear infections.

When dredging or jetting when you come out of the water
FLUSH your ears with a vinegar and rubbing alcohol wash.
50% each. DO NOT touch the surface of your ear canal as
any pressure will push the mud into your sensitive skin.
Just flush out your ears with the solution. More than once
is better.

When you get an ear infection go to the doctor as soon as
you can. He will prescribe Hydrocortozone (sp) as the treatment.
It is a prescription drug. Expect to pay atleast $150 for the cure.
This will only take a few days as it is ear drops. Use NO substitutes.

Dinkydick

OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Thanks Jeffro and Dinkydick.

Jeffro: How do you swab out the ear?

Dinkydick: When you flush do you turn your head to the side and splash it in your ear?

Any certain type of vinegar?

I know these are probably silly questions, but the area in Central America that I am going in has all kinds of bacteria and parasites.

I would rather be over cautious, that have to get myself out of the Jungle to deal with an infection.

Eric

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
OK gang here we go again.

Make up the solution as directions my previous post.

Tilt you head to one side and completely fill the ear that is facing up. A little
over filling is ok. Shake you head a little to remove any trapped air. Jump up and
down and then tilt you head down to drain your ear. Repeat as many times as
you think you need depending on the water quality you were diving in. Do the same
with the other ear. Prior to using the solution you might want to flush your ears with
clean water if available. DO NOT put anything in your ears.

Mud and dirt (no matter how smooth to the touch) have particles which have sharp
edges. Using a Q-tip or something similar in your ear will push these particles and they
will cut the skin inside your outer ear (which is very delicate). Cutting the skin
allows the bacteria on the mud/dirt to enter your body which can cause an infection.

I have used this method many times and have informed many a novice diver how to
do it. It works.

I think that I should have used the word irrigate instead of flush when using the
solutionas it might better describe the washing technique.

I have always used just plain vinegar like what you would use on your salad. I have
never tried red vinegar.

Grandma always use to say "Never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear".
She might have something there.

Dinkydick

P.S. I dive with a helmet now and don't even get my hair wet. No ear infections
either.

OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Thanks Dinkydick! ;D

I apologize for asking so many questions. But I would rather do it right.

Thanks again!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Dinky's way sounds even better than mine. They do have an earwash kit available in any pharmacy that has a little bulb in it, perfect for irrigating the ear.

I have shoved globs of stuff down in my ear before, and had to go to the doc to have it removed. That is how he did it, warm water irrigation. I learned not to do that, LOL!

Now when I dive, I just swab around the ear inside, but not ALL the way in... if you get my drift. It takes an awful lot for me to get water all the way in, even if I'm down for hours and hours. Some people are just lucky that way, I guess.

If thats where you're heading, I think you're first line of defense is gonna be shots. I'd worry about malaria more than an ear infection.

Also, if you haven't done much dredging before, try and get as much time in up here as possible before you go. No sense in doing trial and error while you're "on the clock", so to speak. Diving is one thing, but actually working underwater is something else. You tend not to feel the exhaustion until you get out, then you're whupped!

OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Jeffro: Got yellow fever, Hepatitis A & B vaccinations and malaria pills. So my basis are pretty well covered.

Going to be spending a week in Northern California dredging before I go.

Good idea about the ear wash kits. I will check that out.

Just trying to cover all my bases.

Thanks

Eric

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I have heard that quinine is good for keeping malaria away. I don't know how true it is though. You can get club soda with quinine in it.

OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I will check out quinine. Thanks Jeffro.

I am actually going down there in the beginning of the dry season.

I will be relying on deet at first. Depending on how many skeeters there are.

The Malaria pills are for the wet season if there is an abundance of them around.

I have read of the risks of Malaria pills. So this is a concern.

But I have taken them in the past with no side effects that I noticed.

Dam the skeeters! Full speed ahead! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread