What's new

Drilled Slate Modern or No?

jeramme

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2010
Messages
96
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
MN
Hi all, hoping for your opinion on this piece I found along the river. It looks to be slate and is drilled...the drilling seems to be to perfect to me to be ancient, but looking for your thoughts and opinions. Thanks for your consideration
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250319_175305664.MP.webp
    PXL_20250319_175305664.MP.webp
    228.4 KB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20250319_175342019.MP.webp
    PXL_20250319_175342019.MP.webp
    347.5 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20250319_175411791.MP.webp
    PXL_20250319_175411791.MP.webp
    297.4 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20250319_175434258.MP.webp
    PXL_20250319_175434258.MP.webp
    255.6 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 4
Definitely modern. I never heard of an ancient hole being countersunk.
 
Definitely modern, as you can still see the scoring marks from the countersink bit.

There was a second hole, as well, and the rock broke off at that point.

Could have been decorative slate mounted to a wall?
 
Definitely modern. I never heard of an ancient hole being countersunk.
They may not have what we call countersink but, A lot of pieces are conically drilled looks like a countersink.
 
It’s counter bored, not countersunk. I’ve never seen Indians do that either.
Correct. I didn't know there were two different terms for it until your post. (Today, I have learned....). :icon_thumright:
 
Correct. I didn't know there were two different terms for it until your post. (Today, I have learned....). :icon_thumright:
A counterbore is a cylindrical hole that produces a flat bottom, while a countersink is a conical hole that matches the shape of a flathead screw. Both are used to allow the head of a screw or bolt to sit flush with the surface of a material.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom