Drywashing near Joshua Tree Nat Park

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I will be visiting Joshua Tree Nat Park and the surrounding area the week after Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to get to spend a half day drywashing (I have a Whippet puffer) and would love tips on where to go, invitations to visit claims with or without claim owners, guidance to local prospecting shops, etc.

PMs welcome. Thanks in advance!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might bring your Bazooka too Kevin. You'll be semi-close to the San Gabriel

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Where will you be near Joshua Tree Park? If near 29 Palms, I would suggest the southern hills of the Bullion Mtns, just south of the Marine base. Gold Park, an area accessible from Gold Crown Rd, has hundreds, if not thousands, of prospect holes, many of which have drywashing opportunities within a few steps. Some private land with much of the BLM land claimed up in both areas, but a little research can go a long way in finding good spots to both drywash and detect.

I could go on for pages, but without a more specific idea of where you are likely to be, I will refrain from giving a prospectors tour of the area. Suffice to say that there are many locations that lend themselves to drywash and detect.

Enjoy.

Time for coffee.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where will you be near Joshua Tree Park? If near 29 Palms, I would suggest the southern hills of the Bullion Mtns, just south of the Marine base. Gold Park, an area accessible from Gold Crown Rd, has hundreds, if not thousands, of prospect holes, many of which have drywashing opportunities within a few steps. Some private land with much of the BLM land claimed up in both areas, but a little research can go a long way in finding good spots to both drywash and detect.

I could go on for pages, but without a more specific idea of where you are likely to be, I will refrain from giving a prospectors tour of the area. Suffice to say that there are many locations that lend themselves to drywash and detect.

Enjoy.

Time for coffee.
Thanks for this encouragement and initial idea. We plan to be all over the area as we will visit the park and surroundings for about 5 days. I may get several chances to spend a 1/2 day digging in fact! We will plan to go down Gold Crown Road to explore and dig. I don't mind walking a mile with my (only) 15 pound drywasher on my back so a site doesn't have to be right at the road for me!

All this said, I'd love other suggestions so I can indulge both my wife's touring whims and my gold cravings flexibly :)

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There are parts of Gold Crown Rd that are dry, deep, loose sand. Good for getting some people stuck. I've pulled more than one out over the years. Many of the roads there have been UNmaintained for decades. Be certain of your vehicle and carry multiple spares.

Enjoy.

Time for coffee. With additives.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are parts of Gold Crown Rd that are dry, deep, loose sand. Good for getting some people stuck. I've pulled more than one out over the years. Many of the roads there have been UNmaintained for decades. Be certain of your vehicle and carry multiple spares.

Enjoy.

Time for coffee. With additives.

F-150 with skid plates and 4WD sound ok? I carry an air compressor so I can even let air out of the tires for soft sand and then repressurize if needed.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Most people are not as well prepared.

When you are done with the fun, please let us know how it went.

Time for coffee.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!

I don't know much of that area really, but as told, there is A LOT to explore and plenty of areas to get color down there.
Just do your research for claim boundaries down in the Gold crown area and have a blast checking it all out.

I also agree on the East Fork in Azuza. Lots of history there and gold to be had for sure.
Lytle Creek area might be worth checking out too and in the Holcomb Valley area.
Anza Borrego Springs should be explored too, maybe not much prospecting, but very beautiful area.
All of this maybe an 1-1/2 from Palm springs area.

Boy... 5 days will not be enough.
Good luck, please post updates and here's to cooler weather for you when you arrive.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about the east side of the park. Looks like a lot of washes there coming down from the mountain and crossing the HWY.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your driving across Az and thru the black canyon. City area you can drywash on my claim. Easy access.

Wow thanks! Maybe another time as this time our route is to Salt Lake for thanksgiving and then SW thru Utah.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out drywashing north of the park today. Only found a few specks but had fun exploring. Next time I need to find a local buddy I think!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin, there is probably more gold in So. Kal. then anywhere. But the Kalifornia desert is a huge area and it is spread out out. Having a buddy or club to show you around cuts the learning curve. As the many folks that you've helped out in Colorado would attest.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So true Rod!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions