due to customer service/issues excal.2 not a option..what to buy?

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While service on any detector appears to be pretty slow, the breakdowns seem to be coming mostly from the Excal (not the older models, the newer ones). The Sovs, Explorers, and others seem to be doing just fine.

As far as a good water detector goes, if you're looking at wet sand and surf, I'd get a decent pi machine. I just bought a used Sand Shark from Crackbadger, but since the Sand Shark is presently out of production until Tesoro gets a new seal manufacturer, you probably want to either look at the Garret Sea Hunter II or the White's Dual Field. I am told the coil on the White's tends to float, but I have never used one.

I'm going to defend PI's here for a moment, because I think they are excellent in the surf. Yes, it has no discrimination so you have to dig everything. But I am finding that in the surf you just don't get nearly as much trash as you do on the sandy beach. Will you dig trash? Yes and plenty of it. But trash leads to gold and if someone isn't willing to put in the work, maybe they ought to take up something easier, like checkers.

We can too easily fall in love with the latest technology, but I can't shake the feeling that those detectors that tout they can eliminate iron, just might be eliminating some worthwhile targets also. Guess we may never know since they don't get dug.

Air tests just don't impress me much. PI units are lousy in air tests, but they go deeper than anything out there.

I think the pi user who is willing to put in the time and effort (so long as age and health allow) will be more greatly rewarded in the long run. People may scoff at that and that's fine, but it's just the way I see it.

Ok, I'm done pontificating. Good luck in your decision!

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am part of Fort Bedford Metal Detectors. We have sold several Excaliber II's and none of our customers have had a problem. We can get other water detectors as well from Fishers, currently do not have but should only take 3 days to get it.

Fisher 1280X and the Fisher CZ-21

I have read the reviews and the CZ-21 is the better of the two. The 1280X is good for freshwater, but the salt water makes it act kind of funny. The CZ-21 on the other hand can be used in both fresh and saltwater down to 250 feet! This would be the better choice since you live in Florida.

Contact me if you want to know more.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv got Excal's and a CZ21...i like the Excal best but CZ21 is a close 2nd! iv never had to send a detector in for repairs.my buddy has sent his CZ21 in 3 times for the same problem and it comes home the same as it left. the turn around time is a little better with the Fisher as Minelab said they wont even open the box for 2 months! i think all customer service is lacking now with cut backs in Tech jobs. you would think when you pay over $1100 for a detector it should last forever. Excal warranty used to be 2 years now its 1 year..CZ21 used to be lifetime,now its 2 years. what the company's dont get is if they keep this up long enough they will loose there customer base and go under!

OP
OP
scubaozzy

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
thanks for the posts everyone. i would just hate to spend the money on a excaliber and experience the issue headaches.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John (Ma) said:
I have an excal 1000 with the blue headphones and have had no trouble

Same here and it seems only the Excal II has a problem but mainly it is Minelab's customer service. And First Texas is a close next to last place for customer service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread