Nailcollector

Greenie
Dec 13, 2014
NW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting and just got an AT pro. Took it out to my family's land today. There is a spot where my grandpa told me an old dugout house was located. So after testing out the detector at another old homesite on the property I decided to hit it up. It's grown up really bad with brush and hard to get around on. I found a clear spot where the home used to be and started detecting. Got a signal right away in the 70 range. Started digging and digging and checking with my pin pointer. About 12 inches down I hit something pulled the first piece out and there was more 5 pieces total. Had to dig a hell of a hole but they were all close together. I'm pretty sure it is part of an old stove. One piece has the words "Garland's are guaranteed to be the best bakers and fuel saver" ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418534623.064067.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418534665.875785.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418534698.035672.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418534737.267954.jpg Now I just need to figure out how old they are

Upvote 5
Cool finds. The bottom picture looks like it has a 9 and a 2, good luck cleaning it up to get a date.

Yeah that piece has some numbers on it. I'm thinking of using electrolysis to clean them up not sure if that's a good idea or not though. Will that do more harm than good?

Thanks for the info mirage. I'm going to throw that piece in today and see if I can clean it up. If it's like the one in that ad there may be more pieces to find.

I know what I'm going to be doing on the next nice day.

Sounds like some good hunting ground! What part of NW OK are your from? My family has one of those dugout homes too.

I'm from Okeene. The land I'm hunting is in the canton area not far from the lake.

It has been destroyed. There are two large mounds of dirt next to each other clearly hand made on the side of a hill. The stove parts were in between them looks like the roof area collapsed maybe. Not sure how long ago it was there my grandpa and his siblings are deceased now so I'm trying to find some history on it. The story I've been told is that the land belonged to an Indian and my great grandpa traded a team of horses and a wagon for it not sure what date that was. I think the dugout was there before he acquired the land.

That is a cool story. I posted a video of a hunt at the dugout on my family land. Ours is still standing. My family bought the land back in the 60's, but my grandfather remembers people living in it when he was a boy. We know who the descendant family is. The original occupants were pig farmers.

So far I have dug one Indian Head cent and bunch of junk and relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back