🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird!!!!! I like it :thumbsup:

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
So totally interesting....but, please explain ......what is a marble dump ???? Where might the rest of us look...or is this just in your area where they were made by chance ?? Thanks in advance...They are BEAUTIES

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Love them! I wish I could run across one! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Fla-Gal said:
So totally interesting....but, please explain ......what is a marble dump ???? Where might the rest of us look...or is this just in your area where they were made by chance ?? Thanks in advance...They are BEAUTIES

Machine made marbles were made in a narrow corridor of the U.S. from roughly Illinois, Ohio, and along the Ohio River in West Virginia. Many decorative glass companies (Akro Glass, Viking Glass, Fostoria) also thrived along the same path. These areas are dotted with numerous old dumping sites for the "bad" glass, the mistakes, errors, and failures of the manufacturing process. Of course, if you happened to live in these areas, and had an interest, you lucked out. It's like anywhere else that is ripe for certain nuances of treasure hunting, like living near the beach, or New England for there older coins, the West for gold, or those arrowhead hotspots that dot the countryside. That is why research is so important for treasure hunters in general. We find out what is hot in our areas, and key on finding the stuff. I always loved marbles and would dig them up while detecting, but it wasn't till I moved to WV that I found that I had the resource available to me.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread