NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a very weak signal with my Etrac and 11" DD coil, at an old school playground. The area is all sand, just like at my house. It isn't called "The Sand Hills of Redford" for nothing ::). It was down about 20 inches by the time I pulled it out. It does not stick to a magnet, the dark inside the rim is from the pewter/zinc insert, there is some paper left on the outside of the insert. The gold color is not flaking, it doesn't smell or look like brass, can't find any marks on it, anywhere. It weighs 25.6 grams without the insert, the insert is concave ( I didn't do it ) :laughing7:. Sure hope it is gold. Will have it checked tomorrow. It is 4 inches in diameter. Maybe Breezie has seen this before..........NGE

Attachments

• close up cleaned.jpg
    close up cleaned.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 208
  • close up inner surfaces.jpg
    close up inner surfaces.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 202
  • close up with pewter insert.jpg
    close up with pewter insert.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 201
  • top rim of lid.jpg
    top rim of lid.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 208
  • macro close up detail.jpg
    macro close up detail.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 197
  • model T valve and lid.jpg
    model T valve and lid.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 191

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is probably plated. But here's hoping. Can you see any places where darker metal is showing through?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, it retains the gold color, and being buried in the sand that deep in an area that has a tendency to be on the moist side, the only thing is.....it didn't turn green and the only thing left on it is some concrete like sand. The darker areas on the lid, is the dirt that didn't come off..........NGE

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a powder jar that my grandmother had, and in the appraisal of her estate they said the lid was gold filled. I could see where yours may have been the same sort of application, and in the photo below, I show the jar I have on the left, and on the right, I have superimposed yours on the lid of the jar.

Attachments

• powderjar.jpg
    powderjar.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread