traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a picture of the Dutch oven before being cleaned up and restored. I thought you might like to see it now. This is after electrolysis and MUCH sanding and waxing. I also repaired the missing piece. I am in no way an expert but gave it a shot. Pretty good so far but not fully satisfied. I likely will do a bit more work on it. I found this in a dump site or latrine site for the 5th Ohio overlooking the Tennessee River. It may have been thrown in dump later, but I think it is dated to their camp. I also found some of the letters for a stove or pot metal equipment labeled Cincinnati. I will post them sometime but have to go through boxes of relics to find them. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Dutch 1.jpg
    Dutch 1.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 67
  • dutch.jpg
    dutch.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 70

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a picture of the Dutch oven before being cleaned up and restored. I thought you might like to see it now. This is after electrolysis and MUCH sanding and waxing. I also repaired the missing piece. I am in no way an expert but gave it a shot. Pretty good so far but not fully satisfied. I likely will do a bit more work on it. I found this in a dump site or latrine site for the 5th Ohio overlooking the Tennessee River. It may have been thrown in dump later, but I think it is dated to their camp. I also found some of the letters for a stove or pot metal equipment labeled Cincinnati. I will post them sometime but have to go through boxes of relics to find them. Thanks for looking.
That looks GREAT IMO , It should display nicely . Good Day

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you brother. The last time anything was cooked in that was the 1860s by some boys from Ohio camped on the hills above the Tennessee River guarding the railroad bridge.
Well worth the effort,I like to sit and look at things like that and imagine them old boys watching and waiting for a bite.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well worth the effort,I like to sit and look at things like that and imagine them old boys watching and waiting for a bite.
That is why I metal detect. To reach back and touch the lives of the folks that were here before me.

I did a lot of research on Chicamauga. One of my neatest finds there was just bullets. I had studied the maps of the battle and skirmishes. A day of two before the main battle there was a skirmish in a field by the Chicamauga Creek on the farm I hunted. A union colonel and his troops lined up north to south on a rise by the creek. The confederates were to the east. That is all I saw by the map
BUT I detected where the line of Union soldiers appeared to be standing and over an line of about 50 yards long and 5 yards wide I found about 25 dropped three ringers. In that same area I found some two ringers as well as a few three ringers that had been shot, not dropped. I had studied impact bullet deformation so I estimate some of the shot bullets came from at least a hundred yards or so and a few from under 50 yards at least.

So on that hot September day in 1863, they was a brief skirmish on that little hill where I stood and it appears there was some fairly close action. If I remember correctly the Union retreated south back to the creek.
I may be a little off in my memory, BUT I have everything recorded including the commanders and which union 6army it was. I have that information with the bullets in my boxes of finds. It was neat to stand there with those bullets in my hand and reach back to those men and boys. I bet adrenalin was pouring through their body. What a war. Sorry for rambling. I love history.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why I metal detect. To reach back and touch the lives of the folks that were here before me.

I did a lot of research on Chicamauga. One of my neatest finds there was just bullets. I had studied the maps of the battle and skirmishes. A day of two before the main battle there was a skirmish in a field by the Chicamauga Creek on the farm I hunted. A union colonel and his troops lined up north to south on a rise by the creek. The confederates were to the east. That is all I saw by the map
BUT I detected where the line of Union soldiers appeared to be standing and over an line of about 50 yards long and 5 yards wide I found about 25 dropped three ringers. In that same area I found some two ringers as well as a few three ringers that had been shot, not dropped. I had studied impact bullet deformation so I estimate some of the shot bullets came from at least a hundred yards or so and a few from under 50 yards at least.

So on that hot September day in 1863, they was a brief skirmish on that little hill where I stood and it appears there was some fairly close action. If I remember correctly the Union retreated south back to the creek.
I may be a little off in my memory, BUT I have everything recorded including the commanders and which union 6army it was. I have that information with the bullets in my boxes of finds. It was neat to stand there with those bullets in my hand and reach back to those men and boys. I bet adrenalin was pouring through their body. What a war. Sorry for rambling. I love history.
By the way I am sure you know. You find drops a lot where fighting was going on. Soldiers would be nervous and trying to load their guns and drop bullets at times.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem,you,re looking at another history lover.I,ve studied the battle of Arkansas Post like that.It,s Fed land so no hunting there,but I know a place that might have collected some shots that missed at the Post.Legal too,a friend owns the land.Lots of early French and Spanish history in that vicinity too. All along the rivers are like that.It,s scattered out more so than the main civil war battles,but there none the less.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way I am sure you know. Button find drops a lot where fighting was going on. Soldiers would be nervous and trying to load their guns and drop bullets at times.
I located where a Union Infantry division Headquarters is supposed to have been situated during the battle and I believe it,s on huntable ground.I,ve got to get out there and make sure it,s not part of a Wildlife Management Area before I try it.They have a rule that you can,t take any object,not even an acorn,just fish and game.I,m too old to go to jail and too slow to run!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land ownership along the rivers is really jumbled up.Weird little private plots right in the middle of federal land,and State owned land adjacent to both.Most of it,s marked luckily.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem,you,re looking at another history lover.I,ve studied the battle of Arkansas Post like that.It,s Fed land so no hunting there,but I know a place that might have collected some shots that missed at the Post.Legal too,a friend owns the land.Lots of early French and Spanish history in that vicinity too. All along the rivers are like that.It,s scattered out more so than the main civil war battles,but there none the less.
Sorry about spell check. I meant to write "You find drops where fighting was" but for some reason it put button in there. Sorry. I need to check better.
Maybe I will come out and we can hunt your friends place. No cotton mouths I hope.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I located where a Union Infantry division Headquarters is supposed to have been situated during the battle and I believe it,s on huntable ground.I,ve got to get out there and make sure it,s not part of a Wildlife Management Area before I try it.They have a rule that you can,t take any object,not even an acorn,just fish and game.I,m too old to go to jail and too slow to run!
Are you a real slow runner? If so I will come hunt with you.
They will likely stop chasing after they catch you.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about spell check. I meant to write "You find drops where fighting was" but for some reason it put button in there. Sorry. I need to check better.
Maybe I will come out and we can hunt your friends place. No cotton mouths I hope.
No problem,I ciphered it out,or as they say sometimes I zommed it out!:laughing7: Have to be in the winter,otherwise,cottonmouths,gators,ticks,chiggers,mosquitos.Have to use a boat to get there. Nothing around here,s easy,always an adventure.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walk fast,I run halffast.:laughing7:
:occasion14:
The game warden is a young man I helped raise,he probably wouldn,t arrest me but I don,t want to test that.The feds don,t give a damn,they,ll arrest you if they think you,re thinking about metal detecting on fed land.No sense of humor you see.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem,I ciphered it out,or as they say sometimes I zommed it out!:laughing7: Have to be in the winter,otherwise,cottonmouths,gators,ticks,chiggers,mosquitos.Have to use a boat to get there. Nothing around here,s easy,always an adventure.
Winter works. When do you guys expect roads to be put in Arkansas?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions