Dutchmans River Crossing

RGR375

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2021
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow Hunters. Long time no post but here we go. A couple of questions, First, according to the German Clues (If you Believe them) Waltz crossed the Verde and the Salt, If you were headed to the areas that many believe, IE the board house, Quarter Circle U why would you cross by Ft Mcdowell? Secondly , I've never been able to understand why Everyone I've spoken to discredits the Goldfields and says there is no way it could be there there's no Gold. This area lies in the confluence of Two Cauldrons. Always been curious of this. Lastly if Waltz did cross in the area of what is now Granite Reef Dam, which Canyon do you think he would have started down to head South?

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow Hunters. Long time no post but here we go. A couple of questions, First, according to the German Clues (If you Believe them) Waltz crossed the Verde and the Salt, If you were headed to the areas that many believe, IE the board house, Quarter Circle U why would you cross by Ft Mcdowell? Secondly , I've never been able to understand why Everyone I've spoken to discredits the Goldfields and says there is no way it could be there there's no Gold. This area lies in the confluence of Two Cauldrons. Always been curious of this. Lastly if Waltz did cross in the area of what is now Granite Reef Dam, which Canyon do you think he would have started down to head South?
He gave 2 sets of directions, one from the north , one from the south when he realized they wouldnt find if from the north directions , hense why he was going to go with them and show the mntn from the south where the mine is located.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Waltz (according to legend) only told a couple different ways to get to the gold.
The time lines come into play, and offer additional thoughts for applications.

Here is a brief take of my understanding. (Caution there are many takes).
Waltz was up in years, and caught by the flooding of the Salt River, had gotten sick from exposure. Julia Thomas was taking care of Waltz, with the help of a young man named Rhiney Petrach, and Waltz decided it was time to give Julia and Rhiney information about how he (Waltz) got the mine.
My understanding is that the sharing of information lasted for several months, but less than a year.
The information shared is thought to be the same information recorded in the January 1895 S. F. Chronicle article, written by P.C. Bicknell. This is referred to the southern route, and had nothing to do with the “Board House”.
Then there is also the sharing of information on Waltz’ death bed, with Dick Holmes and Gideon Roberts.
Instead of several months, this sharing of information was maybe a couple hours in duration, with Waltz gasping for air as he relayed information, and allegedly answered questions. This is the source for the directions from the North or NW. these directions also do not have anything to do with the “Board House”.

Before ever talking to Dick Holmes and Gideon Roberts, Waltz was going to try to show Julia and Rhiney a different way to the mine that Waltz thought might be easier, for taking a wagon. It was by going over to the “Board House” and then into the mountains from there. He was planning on playing that path by ear…. Not knowing if he would be able to get in that way, or even if or how far.

Most everything else is additional speculation 😁🤷🏼‍♂️

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

Last edited:

musician

Aug 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The direct way is not the best, if you fear others to follow you.
At Fort McDowell he could get the latest news about the indians, maybe some supplies he could not buy before, because he left secretely. The whole way to cottonwood creek should be a more safe passage.

Strange is another aspect. Holmes followed him already before, so Waltz could have continued his description from the place, where he chased Holmes away.

Some of the german clues use old german words, others look like translated from english.

OP
OP
RGR375

RGR375

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2021
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The direct way is not the best, if you fear others to follow you.
At Fort McDowell he could get the latest news about the indians, maybe some supplies he could not buy before, because he left secretely. The whole way to cottonwood creek should be a more safe passage.

Strange is another aspect. Holmes followed him already before, so Waltz could have continued his description from the place, where he chased Holmes away.

Some of the german clues use old german words, others look like translated from english.
I had my wife who's German translate them, there are some slight differences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions