What's new

Eagle Facing Left - Towards Talon with Arrows - New Thread for 2009 Button

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Last year, there was a thread about a strange eagle button with the eagle facing to our left and that talon held the arrows.

Here is another button like that but this one is adorned with "GW" on the shoulder of the eagle. It's silver.

Any ideas from the real hard-core button folks?

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • EagleButtonGW.webp
    EagleButtonGW.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 742
  • 2009EagleButton.webp
    2009EagleButton.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,056
Did you dig that?

Unfortunately I can't offer an ID, but it's a beautiful button! Any backmark?
 
Upvote 0
Wait, are you asking for an ID for the one at the bottom from 2009 or both? :icon_scratch: I'm confused haha
 
Upvote 0
just top one. no backmark. bottom one is from 2009 thread.

daryl
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • GW.webp
    GW.webp
    11 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0
Me either. I looked at all the GW buttons on tripod as well as the ones in Albert. Colchesterhunting Club is the group I hunt with in the UK and I couldn't find anything there on the "Found in the Ground" site.

The "GW" looks right but maybe what a jeweler would do. And the Eagle looks more like an Eagle than the chicken look it had back in GW's time.

Thanks,

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Total case of apples and oranges for those two. One looks like a legit period GW, and the other just a later whatever eagle button.
 
Upvote 0
I am well aware that it is apples and oranges but I can't find anything close in GW buttons. The eagle looks later and the GW script is different and I can't find a button with GW on the shoulders of the eagle.

The only reason I put them together is the eagle is facing the same way and the arrows are in that talon. I was hoping information about that would help ID the button.

One is a one-piece silver and the other is a 2-piece brass. I know they are different.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I am well aware that it is apples and oranges but I can't find anything close in GW buttons. The eagle looks later and the GW script is different and I can't find a button with GW on the shoulders of the eagle.

The only reason I put them together is the eagle is facing the same way and the arrows are in that talon. I was hoping information about that would help ID the button.

One is a one-piece silver and the other is a 2-piece brass. I know they are different.

Daryl


So what's the story on the first one? There's got to be more than just finding a pic online. Not being able to match it might not be a bad thing for the person who owns it.

PS... It doesn't look dug. No picture of the back?
 
Upvote 0
A friend is trying to sell it to me. Neither of us can find a similar button.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
A friend is trying to sell it to me. Neither of us can find a similar button.

Daryl


I gather he didn't dig it? Can you post a picture of the back?
 
Upvote 0
He dug it.
 

Attachments

  • Back.webp
    Back.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 832
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
He dug it.


The back wouldn't come out looking like that dug, and if he had very aggressively cleaned it the rest should show signs of it. I'm not calling him a liar, but was this button dug with modern finds?
 
Upvote 0
I've seen silver buttons come out much cleaner than this and they had been in the ground 400 years.

Here some others found in the same area.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • Buttons11.webp
    Buttons11.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 511
  • buttons12.webp
    buttons12.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I've seen silver buttons come out much cleaner than this and they had been in the ground 400 years.

Here some others found in the same area.

Daryl


Yes, some can come out nice because they are plated. The problem with the eagle in question is the condition of the front and back does not match, as well as the "silver" spot on the reverse looks more like a blob than what remains of silver plate. There is no explanation for what I see other than it being a modern button.

And you didn't answer my question. Was it found with modern targets? I would expect the answer to be yes. If not, than that in my opinion was pretty unlucky. This is just what makes sense to me and if anyone can suggest something different I'd be very interested to hear it.
 
Upvote 0
It's not plated. It silver. I have found many buttons and coins that come out of the ground and one side is better than the other. My opinion is that the object was flat in the ground for a long time and the surface that faced up and shows more effect of the chemicals or acid rain than the surface that faced down. In this case, the shank side was up.

There is always modern stuff in 99.9% of the places we all hunt. The other buttons were all found in the same area as the one I posted.

The mark on the back is the result of trying to straighten the shank. It snapped off and left the shiny surface.

I don't understand the issue of the condition of the silver.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
It's not plated. It silver. I have found many buttons and coins that come out of the ground and one side is better than the other. My opinion is that the object was flat in the ground for a long time and the surface that faced up and shows more effect of the chemicals or acid rain than the surface that faced down. In this case, the shank side was up.

There is always modern stuff in 99.9% of the places we all hunt. The other buttons were all found in the same area as the one I posted.

The mark on the back is the result of trying to straighten the shank. It snapped off and left the shiny surface.

I don't understand the issue of the condition of the silver.

Daryl


So how can a broken shank leave a build-up of silver? If the button is from 1789 and silver, I would think there would have been a very clean back with shank. Breaking it would simply leave two very small silver spots side by side.

Still not making sense to me.
 
Upvote 0
Ah, it's silver as well and doesn't break clean. Duh.

A shank does not always have two points of attachment. Some have one. It had a bent shank, now it has what was left.

I never said anything about 1789.

Condition of the back - silver or not - will depend on what it was exposed to and the purity of the silver. Only gold doesn't react to environmental conditions. Hence the term noble metal which silver is not.

Maybe you need some more coffee this morning.
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Ah, it's silver as well and doesn't break clean. Duh.

A shank does not always have two points of attachment. Some have one. It had a bent shank, now it has what was left.

I never said anything about 1789.

Condition of the back - silver or not - will depend on what it was exposed to and the purity of the silver. Only gold doesn't react to environmental conditions. Hence the term noble metal which silver is not.

Maybe you need some more coffee this morning.


Well if I had a GW button I think I would ID it first before messing with the back. And if I tried to straighten the shank I'm quite sure I would not come out with that result.

Maybe you shouldn't be asking for hardcore button guys.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom