What's new

Eagle Facing Left - Towards Talon with Arrows - New Thread for 2009 Button

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Last year, there was a thread about a strange eagle button with the eagle facing to our left and that talon held the arrows.

Here is another button like that but this one is adorned with "GW" on the shoulder of the eagle. It's silver.

Any ideas from the real hard-core button folks?

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • EagleButtonGW.webp
    EagleButtonGW.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 742
  • 2009EagleButton.webp
    2009EagleButton.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,056
I don't think it is a GW inaugural button!

I just want to know what button it is and I think it is going to take a hard-core button person to know or figure it out.

Well I guess you are the best shank straightener in the world if you've never broken one while trying to straighten it. Congrats!

And hindsight is always 20/20.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Well I guess you are the best shank straightener in the world if you've never broken one while trying to straighten it. Congrats!


I didn't say anything about breaking a shank.

PS... I leave button shanks as-is.
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I don't think it is a GW inaugural button!


GW and an early style eagle... maybe it's a George Wallace button? ;D
 

Attachments

  • George-Wallace.webp
    George-Wallace.webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0
If that's the best a hard-core button guy can do. Thanks!

I appreciate your knowledge.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
If that's the best a hard-core button guy can do. Thanks!

I appreciate your knowledge.

Daryl


Well good luck to your friend and I hope it's a real one of what he hopes it to be.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting button. The design of the eagle looks to be raised above the field instead of being stamped into it. I don't know much about buttons, but could this have been engraved from a silver half dollar?
 
Upvote 0
I thought that too as soldiers used them as sort of name tags. They would usually file off the back and put on a shank. My problem is that I can't find a coin like that either.

Thanks!

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
That is a rather unusual eagle button, and of a style and design of which a previously known example has not been noted to my knowledge.

1.) Has this example been tested to affirm a solid silver composition? High tin content pewter is known to hold up quite well in certain soils, occasionally surfacing in remarkable condition. Tombac metal, which was very popular in the 1780-1820 period, also comes out rather unblemished and with a shiny appearance.

2.) During the attempt to straighten the shank, which apparently produce rather negative results, was the shank piece saved? Did the shank (loop) crumble into dust, or simple break off in one solid piece? Any portion of the puzzle contributes a clearer picture in attempting a proper and thorough identification.

3.) What is the actual size (diameter) in inches or mm? What type of target I.D. response will be generated on a metal detector with visual target display? If this button example is actually silver, (or even silver plated brass), the target I.D. should read around dime/quarter on most metal detectors. Both pewter and tombac metal read down in the low nickel range.

4.) Due to the weak portion of the design, and inconstant quality exhibited across the top surface, the button almost appears to be cast rather than stamped. Generally, cast buttons will have mold seam lines evident on the back, as well as some traces of rough flash in areas. The back of this example does show signs of a slightly wavy surface with a bit of a possible edge bevel that could be attributed to surface tension flow on a slight over-pour in an open back mold. A closed back split mold though, would produce the characteristic mold seam line running across the surface that we often see on cast pewter buttons of the period.

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
I haven't seen one like it either. That is why it interests me. I've got until tomorrow to get it or not.

No definitive test for silver - just the very unreliable reading from several detectors. Comes in as silver on all.

The shank piece is gone. A friend of the guy grabbed it and snapped it off. Pitched it "somewhere." You know how it happens.

Reading is in the high 80's

I agree about the Tombac alloy. Just reads too high for that and it doesn't appear plated - no wear off in high places.

Don't have an exact size.

Thanks for looking and asking.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Here is something for scale and color.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • group2.webp
    group2.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0
With a metal detector reading in the high 80's, pewter and tombac can both be ruled out.

By comparison, possibly the button is around 7/8" diameter?

If the cost is relatively reasonable, it may be worth a gamble. Considering that other forms of gambling offer few chances of return, with almost nothing to show in the end, a button "gamble" might not be too bad a concept accounting for that fact that at least one has "the button". :)

Even with some of the finest and rarest buttons though, if the shank is missing, the value drops substantially.

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
Yep.

He wants me to buy ALL his buttons - 400+. What a friend. He won't cut out this button or the - here we go on another tangent - a set of silver cufflinks with an eagle on an Urn with GW engraved to the side.

Yikes.

Just don't know.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Interesting find Professor. Im not a hard core old button guy but the eagle looks American to me and it looks silver in the last pic. :dontknow:

Dont read too much into the head direction and arrows in right talon because it doesnt mean much but Ill search for the post. Yes we had a discussion on this a while back.

Charles_Thomson_Preliminary_Design.webpGreatSealFirstDie_1782.webpCharles_Thomson_Preliminary_Design.webpEagleButtonGW.webpGW button.webp
 

Attachments

  • GreatSealFirstDie_1782.webp
    GreatSealFirstDie_1782.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 303
  • waynes legion button.webp
    waynes legion button.webp
    3.8 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0
Thanks!

Yeah I know the whole head, arrows, peace, war, diplomat, etc. is somewhat of a discussion about cloud watching. Not much to back it up as there is a lot of stuff out there to "interpret."

Interesting button indeed.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Yep. And then everybody made it into what they wanted. :dontknow:

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
The cufflinks sound like GW memorial.
I know it's not my money.....but if his asking price is reasonable....I'd chance it!
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Me either. I looked at all the GW buttons on tripod as well as the ones in Albert. Colchesterhunting Club is the group I hunt with in the UK and I couldn't find anything there on the "Found in the Ground" site.

The "GW" looks right but maybe what a jeweler would do. And the Eagle looks more like an Eagle than the chicken look it had back in GW's time.

Thanks,

Daryl
Agreed, have a possible 'Waynes Legion' button, have always called it 'The Chicken Eagle'
Great silver button, regardless of pedigree :icon_thumleft:
wish I had friends selling articles as you describe.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom