Early 1800s Riverside Camp Gives Me A Four Large Cent Day

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1800's Riverside Camp Gives Me A Four Large Cent Day

My coworker and treasure hunting buddy was able to secure us permission to hunt a very large riverside soybean field next to a river that was well traveled in the early days. I have been itching to hunt this field as I knew it had never been hunted before with detectors and could yield a very wide variety of artifacts including flint Indian artifacts. The first day we hunted it I stumbled upon a campsite from the early 1800's. There I dug melted lead, an 1838 large cent, musket balls a crude cuff link, and a flat button.

Upon returning two weeks later I dug 1827, 1825, 1831 US large cents and a 1806 British large cent. Among these were a nice copper thimble, several flat buttons, fired and dropped musket balls and a few flint relics. My Fisher F75 served me well.

My hunting buddy found a nice cut large cent, some flat buttons, and musket balls with his brand new Ace 250. Also he found a neat flint artifact. He will probably make a separate post. Anyway, enough talking, here are some of the pics.....good hunting! Steve

Attachments

• rivercampfinds2.jpg
    rivercampfinds2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 724
  • rivercampfinds.jpg
    rivercampfinds.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 725
  • 1838 cent.jpg
    1838 cent.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 727
  • 1838cent2.jpg
    1838cent2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 724
  • rivercampcoins.jpg
    rivercampcoins.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 733
  • rivercampcoins2.jpg
    rivercampcoins2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 731
Upvote 0
Re: Early 1800's Riverside Camp Gives Me A Four Large Cent Day

I'd be going back to that well again, and again, and.................

Way to go my friend. I grew up in that area and never had such a good site as that. Research pays off. Congrats.

You made 4 cents in a days work - now thats what I call living large ! Argentium.

Nice finds there Steve!
Good luck on your next trip there cuz that site sure has a lot of potential.
Mike

Excellent finds. That Large cent is in pretty good shape considering how long it has been in the ground.

very nice finds.I believe I would hit that place if I could.I would say that there are many more
keepers waiting to be found there.
Congrats :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Very nice job on the large cents!

sweet. i'll be there's a draped bust there, just waiting to reveal itself...

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I hope to hit this spot a couple more times before the dirt gets turned over again.
I had a long dry spell on early coppers, you dont dig them every day in Ohio for the most part. These large cents were a very welcome sight. Well hopefully we can dig an early silver or two out of this site soon.

Good Hunting!
Steve

That is a beautiful assortment of finds from a very wide range of time. Those coins cleaned up very well, what method did you use to preserve them? Congratulation on a few gret hunts!
Anthony

hi golddiver,

way to go on the large pennies. you did very good sir. you will get a spanish silver out of there. go get more now. :thumbsup:

henry

Nice finds! im hoping to dig a large cent someday! keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cool beans. ;D
i will get to grading these large cent for practice tomarrow i should be in bed but i cant stop reading finds. :thumbsup:

Hope i have some luck this weekend. :tongue3:

Steve,
Very nice. I agree, those LC's in Ohio are not that easy to find. Of coarse when you do they are not in that great of a shape....but still very fun to find. The buttons are also nice to find.

The fisher served you well....couldn't any detector pick up those LC's? :wink: ;D

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back