Early 19th c. Flat Button w/ Unusual Eagle Backmark

mrmastadon

Jul 1, 2020
NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of a sudden I can't stop digging buttons. I'm not sure what I did for the button gods to bless me, but lately it seems I'm now turning one up on every hunt. This afternoon I pulled a nickel-sized civilian flat button from, of all places, right in front of a park bathroom. It was only about 2" down and the next oldest thing I've found there is a 1951 wheat cent, so I'm thinking fill dirt. Anyway, I like this one if for no other reason the lettering (STANDARD COLOUR TREBLE GILT) is relatively clear all the way around. But here's my mystery: It appears to be British-made, as for the spelling of "Colour." However, there is a small eagle design right in the middle of the reverse where the (now missing) shank would have been. My understanding, from one of TheCannonballGuy's posts, is that for some time after the war of 1812 boycott, the British buttonmakers "faked" American buttons by putting an eagle on them. What is unusual about mine is the eagle motif itself -- the vast majority of the eagle backmarks I can find from that era actually have the "chicken eagle" appearance with a long, curved neck, while mine is proportioned more like a Great Seal eagle, perhaps with a banner over its head. Also, I can't find any other examples where the shank is set directly on top of the eagle.

I'm no expert on buttons so it's possible I'm the only one one this forum who isn't familiar with this design. I also don't have the famous "button book," which might help. But the combination of "COLOUR" with this particular eagle has got me curious. I welcome any input from those more knowledgeable than me!

-Andrew

Attachments

• 20210514_205609(0).jpg
    20210514_205609(0).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 56

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread