steelheadwill
Gold Member
- Joined
- Jan 2, 2010
- Messages
- 6,690
- Reaction score
- 716
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- New Castle NH.
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Brain eyes ears and nose
- Primary Interest:
- Other


Hi Matt,DCMatt said:Anything on the back? I don't get the impression that it represents a coat of arms. It just looks like a fancy button to me.
DCMatt



Thanks DirtDigler! that site was just what I was looking forDirtDigler said:Doesn't look like any of the heraldic symbols I've seen before. Looks more decorative than heraldic. Here's a link to some basic information concerning coats of arms. Hope it helps you. Nice and interesting find.
http://www.fleurdelis.com/coatofarms.htm



steelheadwill said:Thanks DirtDigler! that site was just what I was looking forDirtDigler said:Doesn't look like any of the heraldic symbols I've seen before. Looks more decorative than heraldic. Here's a link to some basic information concerning coats of arms. Hope it helps you. Nice and interesting find.
http://www.fleurdelis.com/coatofarms.htm
As said, figured it was "just" a decorative,
The exceptional thing about it is the size, I have not recovered any 18th century lead buttons other than small versions, has anyone else recovered Largies like this![]()





steelheadwill said:Greetings,
I have not gotten back to the farm yet, so I don't have an exact measurement yet,
but here is a photo of the back that I had in my files.
From its tone, readings, blistered & flaking edges, I'm pretty sure it's a pewter alloy.
Thanks to all for your input![]()

Thanks Crusader,CRUSADER said:steelheadwill said:Greetings,
I have not gotten back to the farm yet, so I don't have an exact measurement yet,
but here is a photo of the back that I had in my files.
From its tone, readings, blistered & flaking edges, I'm pretty sure it's a pewter alloy.
Thanks to all for your input![]()
Looking at the back, your right, the colour throw me. Size is not an issue, plenty of bigger examples of pewter ones out there (but mostly military & not like this). I have had many copper-alloy of a similar design, none in pewter. I think its early to mid 19th C, as it would be an unusual 18th C example![]()

