Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is today's finds but I found this on Thursday. And this was one hell of a birthday present. So I went to a cellar hole that was hit hard by other people so targets were pretty much nilch. Getting frustrated I started digging any targets that had a high pitch. When this brass plate popped out. I almost completely disregarded this piece until I wiped it off and saw 10 regt. So I did what I usually do when I get excited I make a dash for the car. So after getting home and cleaning the plate with soapy water I was finally able to make out the script I compy Lt infantry 10 regt. So I then posted it on the what is it forum and with the help of folks there they narrowed it down to a millitary cap plate. Then with a suggestion from gold diver I sent an email to don trioani whos an expert on early millitaria. And he gave it the id of a ct militia 1800-1820 militia hat cap. This is the most significant find I have ever made. Thanks for looking- Justin

Attachments

• image-1157012004.jpg
    image-1157012004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 865
  • image-970016920.jpg
    image-970016920.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Upvote 42

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find there! If you had the word 'beer' in your title or 'I was drunk when I found this' it would have 5 pages by now. Glad it made banner.
lol

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That criteria you mentioned also pertains to a lot of significant finds on this forum. There are many great relics that show up that never make the banner. The today's finds category is broad and is inundated with many not so significant finds that the good ones are soon buried and we move on to the next thread so fast.
It's my personal belief that many members don't get the whole banner thing, plus the members that truly appreciate and understand what some these finds represent, are few and don't have the combined punch to elevate a truly great find to the top of the page. Having said that, perhaps a military relic section might separate the wheat from the chaff and let deserved finds shine

Agreed. It seems that Mercury Dimes and Walking Liberty Halves garner more comments and attention that historically significant finds. The Today's Finds is by far the most viewed and posted forum, so sometimes its easy to lose special finds among the rest. I'm sure glad I didn't miss this find, as it truly is special and deserving of the Banner. I'm certain I have missed plenty of fantastic finds on this forum that could have made Banner due to that fact that I didn't know what I was looking at.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow this is so cool thank you everyone im honored. and i agree with you all that theres items on here that get passed by and a military forum would be a good idea. -Justin

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find there! If you had the word 'beer' in your title or 'I was drunk when I found this' it would have 5 pages by now. Glad it made banner.

Sadly this is true... BTW - CONGRATS ON MAKING BANNER!!!! I'm glad this is getting the attention it deserves!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TOTALLY AWESOME find! Congratulations on finding it and for making the BANNER! :icon_thumleft: Way to go! :) Breezie

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Major congratulations, Justin!

Labels-Congratulations-grayscale300x3001.png

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Nilch", like "nil" and "zilch" put together... yeah that's a pounded site.

I try to use Buck's cleaning method on brass stuff now too... maybe you could re-smear some dirt on it and try again 8-)

Congratulations on a very unusual find. Even if it's not the world's rarest heel plate.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol thanks rusted iron. I wish I didn't use water to clean it not the smartest thing I ever I did.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surf and breezie thank you. And Perses here the photos you requested with a rule.

Attachments

• image-2606285133.jpg
    image-2606285133.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3403096762.jpg
    image-3403096762.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 93

LaGold

May 8, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP deus and whites Mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!!! Really awesome find. I know how ya feel about the attention an awesome item gets. I've found a couple pretty rare buttons and got very little if any attention about it and it gets frustrating to see a post with three 1946 Rosie dimes have six pages of comments when my buttons get a total of 5 or six comments total. You deserve every bit of attention that your now getting and it's good to see people are now realizing the significance of what you found... Awesome awesome awesome.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Really awesome find. I know how ya feel about the attention an awesome item gets. I've found a couple pretty rare buttons and got very little if any attention about it and it gets frustrating to see a post with three 1946 Rosie dimes have six pages of comments when my buttons get a total of 5 or six comments total. You deserve every bit of attention that your now getting and it's good to see people are now realizing the significance of what you found... Awesome awesome awesome.

Thank you buttons are very underrated and deserve to have more attention paid to them. My favorite finds are old military or sweet civilian buttons.

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find ! I can relate to finding something and not knowing or sure what you have found. :dontknow: My first and only banner find, when I pulled it out of the ground , I was thinking it was a tin can lid. Sure glad I didn't toss it . Circa 1850s Virginia Breastplate :hello2:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner !!!! and Happy Birthday !!!! I was out hunting for my birthday also (same day) and made a real nice find,,,,,, but not one like yours !!

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats! Now THAT is History!!!! Thumbs up! Thumbs wayyyy up!

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner !!!! and Happy Birthday !!!! I was out hunting for my birthday also (same day) and made a real nice find,,,,,, but not one like yours !!

Thanks pikespeakcharlie and happy birthday to you too. I wasn't expecting to find anything but square nails.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on saving one cool piece of history. :hello2: WTG on the Banner, too. :thumbsup: Glad your persistence was paid off.

HH

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Happy Birthday to you !! Great historic recovery.
I like pieces with the odd abbreviations and use of small last letters to make them fit.
You sure lived up to your Handle with this find, best wishes to ya :)

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Happy Birthday to you !! Great historic recovery.
I like pieces with the odd abbreviations and use of small last letters to make them fit.
You sure lived up to your Handle with this find, best wishes to ya :)

Thank you much

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread