Early Christmas present, a very rare solid brass US plate!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy John and I were digging a fire and trash pit Sunday when I plucked out a chunk of ash. I told him that if he would mark some ash of his face he will have good luck. I was taught this by Jimmy Good {JL} at the last DIV. Jimmy told me than that I would dig a clay pipe if I marked my face with the ash from the soldiers fire pit. I know this sounds crazy but I did! It was probably under a hour later and a clay pipe rolls out of the dirt.

Well I told my buddy John this and reminded him that the last time he marked his face he dug a 1850's Eagle tongue plate! He reluctantly marked his face with the charcoaled ash and I did the same. In less than five minutes he has a rare US plate! This plate has the stippled or dimpled area on the background of the plate between the US. The plate is also solid brass and has all the hooks intact.

The plate is listed in the Howard Crouch book on page 194 I believe. It looks really nice and he barely rinsed it off, I'm sure after he gives it a gentle cleaning and wipes it down with some mineral oil it will look even better! We went ahead and finished that hole with a few neat suspender buckles and a few marbles, all sorts of buttons. John also dug a neat bone handled fork that has a spade emblem in the bone handle. This means I will get back a plate I gave him not long ago. I had dug two US plates here and I told him I would give him the next one I dug if he hadn't dug one yet.

There was a condition that when he digs a plate here than I get that plate back from him, lol. There have been now four US plates, One breast plate, one Eagle tongue plate and one Martingale dug here so far. You can bet we will be back there soon. That plate was not that deep but there is just so many nails, and iron scrap that we never heard the signal! We have been hunting there since 2005 and are always amazed at our finds we dig. We never did actually ever turn on our detectors yesterday! Hope y'all had a great weekend!

Attachments

• us plate stimpled frt.jpg
    us plate stimpled frt.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,088
  • us plate rev.jpg
    us plate rev.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,083
  • crouch book plate frt.jpg
    crouch book plate frt.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,061
  • crouch book plate back.jpg
    crouch book plate back.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,068
  • our finds 12-13-09.jpg
    our finds 12-13-09.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,044
  • my finds clean 12 13 09.jpg
    my finds clean 12 13 09.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,037
  • buttons 12 13 09.jpg
    buttons 12 13 09.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,998
  • crouch book page 194.jpg
    crouch book page 194.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,998
  • us plate stimpled frt.jpg
    us plate stimpled frt.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,079
  • us plate rev.jpg
    us plate rev.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,073
  • crouch book plate frt.jpg
    crouch book plate frt.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,056
  • crouch book plate back.jpg
    crouch book plate back.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,053
  • our finds 12-13-09.jpg
    our finds 12-13-09.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,050
  • my finds clean 12 13 09.jpg
    my finds clean 12 13 09.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,031
  • buttons 12 13 09.jpg
    buttons 12 13 09.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,990
  • crouch book page 194.jpg
    crouch book page 194.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,004
  • dec 09 091.jpg
    dec 09 091.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,199
  • dec 09 091.jpg
    dec 09 091.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,176
Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one Killer find! Probably the rarest non-state seal Federal plates to find! :hello2: I love seeing the old gutta percha buttons too--since they aren't metal, we usually miss out on seeing that piece of the relic picture.

Great finds!

-Buckles

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY sweet US belt plate!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing! :icon_thumright:

Steve

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i know surer than shat next time i run into a old fire pit ill do the same thing. cant wait. willy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely Beautiful Tim.....Thank's for sharing this one.I know what I'm going to do come March,hope to see you there.Awesome dig's... :headbang:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC buckle!!! :hello2: Tell your buddy John congrats. Also if you don't mind sending me a bag of that ash I'll PM you my address. ;D :icon_thumleft:
Way to go guys. Great post & great CW relics. :notworthy:
-MM-

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't get much better than that! Great relic! :icon_thumright:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great buckle!

Are those carved bullet chess pieces in one of your pics? I've seen a few (never dug one) but none like that. Those are pretty fancy.

DCMatt

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tsgman, great plate and I loved the story! Sir James Frazer wrote extensively about the history of what he calls "sympathetic magic" in his classic "the Golden Bough". It was an ancient practice of many cultures, and it is exactly what you guys were doing. Who knows, maybe there is something to it; maybe it is a hightening of our subconscious senses a little more through encouraging us to believe at all levels we will find what we are after. The theory of the butterfly wing or a pebble in the ocean affecting all things eventually, also comes to mind when wondering whether all things that were or will be are mapped out for us, if we can only find a way to perceive them. I think some of us find ourselves holding a just dug find in our hand a little longer then we might otherwise while we continue to detect; just to get us 'in the groove'. That also is in a way the same thing too I guess...a little juju "sympathetic magic" added for good measure! Spooky stuff, but I like it. Anyway, it seems to have worked for you. Congratulations on what will probably soon be displayed in the banner. :icon_thumleft:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tim, I think the rarity and condition of that plate warrants a Banner for you guys and I will nominate it as such. You guys have found a honey hole for sure. HH, Quindy.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow

I love the CW diggs man. That plate is beautiful. Wasn't used very much. I'd take a back hoe through that area.

HH Jer

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find!!!! That buckle is in great shape!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread