Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Morning T- Net Nation!
Last night, after an early dinner of yummy Ipswich fried clams, I ventured into the woods for a quick hunt. My first site proved frustrating due to excessive EMI, so I moved on to another location close to home. I was greeted by one of the locals, who didn't seem to object to me being there. I took that as a good sign.
004.JPG
I found a few old targets , including a rather large musket ball, some fragments, and part of a broken bell.
030.JPG 031.JPG
It was starting to get dark when I hit a nice , soft high tone. After hacking through a tangle of roots, out pops an old copper
007.JPG
I re-scanned the hole, and got another solid signal. Long story short, there ended up being six very old coppers within about a two foot circle
038.JPG
Most of them are in pretty rough shape , except for a 1693 William and Mary Irish Half Penny
042.JPG 044.JPG
I've never hit an old spill like this one. Very, very exciting! The pics below are from some of the other coppers. Thanks for taking a look!
056.JPG 053.JPG 051.JPG 065.JPG

Upvote 63

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stuff of dreams...

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...!! You certainly struck copper gold! Copper..gold...is that a thing? But anyway, not many of us here will ever come across an early spill like that! That 1693 is Beee-utiful! Congrats on a very, very nice save(s)...Ddf.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful! Way to find it! That's been laying there a long time.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a really awesome spill you recovered. The coppers
all look like typical dirt recoveries except the W&M, that one is a special coin. Amazing details. Congrats!!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a mighty passel of ancient pennies. That 1690s sucker is a nice shade of green!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t begin to tell you how special that coin is my friend. One of the most difficult things to do in this hobby is to pull early coppers in good condition. To get one from the 17th Century in that condition is quite the feat. I know most people get enamored with the early silvers but I’d take that incredible copper over a cob any day. Great job and hunt the hell out of that spot.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely awesome finds fellow Mass hunter! That W & M is incredible- Congrats!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Amazing William and Mary! The 1600's copper is on my list. Congratulations!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now those are some old coppers ! That 1693 Half Penny is in fabulous shape. I'm still trying to crack into the 1700's. Pretty tough here in Illinois.

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone for the great comments. I went back to that same site this morning to see what else there might be to find. No coins, but I did manage one "treble gilt" flat button and seven ( count 'em, seven) perfect musket balls. These were scattered across a hillside. The ground cover in this area is pretty heavy, but I've got a feeling that there may be some more coins hiding there. Time will tell. HH. Scott.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is amazing! That William and Mary copper is looking pretty awesome good for being that old! I know it's out there but I have not broken into the 1600's era of coins in Mass! The other coins are identifiable which to me is good condition! That must have been awesome to find. I have found one colonial spill it had a really nice CT copper and a blank wiper. My friend went back and found a KG a foot or two away from it. Can't believe I missed that one! Nice finds though! That spill would keep me going for a long while!!!!

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! They all look to be 1690's! Beautiful coin!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn!! I get excited when I find 2 wheaties in the same day. Excellent job!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions