One Hole, Two Coins - 19th Century Pocket Spill

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was hunting on the farm, and got my first 19th century pocket spill. The signal, initially, was strong in the one cent range (mid 40's on the Legend). I had been digging modern cents earlier and figured this would be another. I was quite excited to see a nice 1837 large cent after flipping the plug. I figured it was pretty toasted, put it in my finds pouch and rescanned the hole. The soil where I am hunting is filled with iron trash, and I am having serious issues with EMI due to a nearby radio tower (I think). So when I heard a very scratchy and jumpy (between about 45 and 50), I was skeptical that there was anything remaining. I opened the hole a little wider, and flipped some dirt, and out popped an 1883 Seated Dime! Tragically, it is quite bent. I don't believe I damaged the coin, as the contact marks appear to have patina. I figure a plow or mower wacked it long ago.

20240419_150200.jpg
Obverse.jpg
Large Cent Reverse.jpg

20240421_162110.jpg
20240421_162136.jpg

I continued to grid the general area, and nearby I got a solid nickel signal. Flipped the plug, and out comes a first for me: a 1945 war nickel. Unfortunately, the obverse on this find was pretty rough, but a cool recovery nonetheless.

I have been getting pretty well skunked on my last few outings, so these finds were a welcomed relief from the monotony of digging foil and bottle caps. Thanks for reading, and best of luck to all of you out there!

20240419_155553.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding ! :icon_thumright:

I've straightened several Silver coins that were bent like yours.
Just put the coin in between two pieces of Hardwood - put in a Vise or hit the wood with a Hammer.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nicely done, it's good that you rechecked the hole.

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with you not damaging the dime! Nice to find silver congratulations! E-Trac-Ohio's method of two pieces of hard wood will work, I've done it more than once. Try the vice first and if that doesn't work go for the hammer!!!

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, congratulations!

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding ! :icon_thumright:

I've straightened several Silver coins that were bent like yours.
Just put the coin in between two pieces of Hardwood - put in a Vise or hit the wood with a Hammer.

I agree with you not damaging the dime! Nice to find silver congratulations! E-Trac-Ohio's method of two pieces of hard wood will work, I've done it more than once. Try the vice first and if that doesn't work go for the hammer!!!

It’s funny, I was just about to ask if anyone would recommend an attempt at straightening the dime out. I was so bummed when it came out of the hole bent. I will give this a go and follow-up with results.

Drew61

Feb 23, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would try a rubber mallet before a hammer, best of luck, great finds!!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was hunting on the farm, and got my first 19th century pocket spill. The signal, initially, was strong in the one cent range (mid 40's on the Legend). I had been digging modern cents earlier and figured this would be another. I was quite excited to see a nice 1837 large cent after flipping the plug. I figured it was pretty toasted, put it in my finds pouch and rescanned the hole. The soil where I am hunting is filled with iron trash, and I am having serious issues with EMI due to a nearby radio tower (I think). So when I heard a very scratchy and jumpy (between about 45 and 50), I was skeptical that there was anything remaining. I opened the hole a little wider, and flipped some dirt, and out popped an 1883 Seated Dime! Tragically, it is quite bent. I don't believe I damaged the coin, as the contact marks appear to have patina. I figure a plow or mower wacked it long ago.

View attachment 2144725 View attachment 2144726 View attachment 2144727

View attachment 2144728 View attachment 2144729

I continued to grid the general area, and nearby I got a solid nickel signal. Flipped the plug, and out comes a first for me: a 1945 war nickel. Unfortunately, the obverse on this find was pretty rough, but a cool recovery nonetheless.

I have been getting pretty well skunked on my last few outings, so these finds were a welcomed relief from the monotony of digging foil and bottle caps. Thanks for reading, and best of luck to all of you out there!

View attachment 2144730
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread