OutdoorAdv
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Apr 16, 2013
- Messages
- 2,457
- Reaction score
- 3,353
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- East Coast - USA
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
After some more research, I decided to spend the weekend hitting some hard hit sites. There were no obvious signals left, so I resorted to working the iron and trying to swing where I typically wouldn't... with the hopes that a coil might have not passed over that soil before. Over the course of Saturday and Sunday, my GPS had me hiking 12 miles which doesn't include the miles I walked while detecting! On Saturday I hiked out with about 40lbs of iron in my pack and on Sunday, about 10lbs. It's hard work, but I was rewarded with a few really nice keepers. Most importantly, I got to spend the weekend outdoors and enjoy some cooler weather.
The group shot! Some of my favorites are the early one piece eagle button, the pewter spoon, knee (hat?) buckle frame, crotal bell, brass wedding ring and early suspender buckles. Whats not pictured is most of the iron keepers that I will work through electrolysis. Somehow a couple rose heads made it into my keeper pouch, but I have a whole mess more that I will tumble.

This is perhaps my favorite button yet and I still have no clue what it is! Its a flat, one piece brass cuff button, cast with an applied shank. I currently have a post open in the "what is it" forum (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/515931-button-experts-early-military-1-piece-brass-cuff.html) so if I get a proper ID on it, I will update this thread. I believe it might be a very early "US Officials Diplomatic Service Button" or something similar.

The backmark is a circle of stars much like the front. You can clearly see the mold seam across the middle


I dig a lot of pewter spoon parts. Bowls, handles, bowls with partial handles... but this is my first complete early pewter spoon from end to end. Still on the lookout for a rattail spoon, but I'm getting closer.


I was very happy with this knee buckle frame. Pins are lengthwise with a nice floral pattern.

This is only my second crotal bell and its huge! Unfortunately its cracked and missing the ball, so there is no ring left in it. When I dug my first one the property owners liked it so much I gave it to them.

A very toasty 1804 DBLC turned up and a beat up CW era coat sized 2 piece General Service button. To the right is a very early brass (wedding) band. It has a solder seam where it was connected together. I've dug 3 or 4 of these brass ones at early sites in the past.





Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!
The group shot! Some of my favorites are the early one piece eagle button, the pewter spoon, knee (hat?) buckle frame, crotal bell, brass wedding ring and early suspender buckles. Whats not pictured is most of the iron keepers that I will work through electrolysis. Somehow a couple rose heads made it into my keeper pouch, but I have a whole mess more that I will tumble.

This is perhaps my favorite button yet and I still have no clue what it is! Its a flat, one piece brass cuff button, cast with an applied shank. I currently have a post open in the "what is it" forum (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/515931-button-experts-early-military-1-piece-brass-cuff.html) so if I get a proper ID on it, I will update this thread. I believe it might be a very early "US Officials Diplomatic Service Button" or something similar.

The backmark is a circle of stars much like the front. You can clearly see the mold seam across the middle


I dig a lot of pewter spoon parts. Bowls, handles, bowls with partial handles... but this is my first complete early pewter spoon from end to end. Still on the lookout for a rattail spoon, but I'm getting closer.


I was very happy with this knee buckle frame. Pins are lengthwise with a nice floral pattern.

This is only my second crotal bell and its huge! Unfortunately its cracked and missing the ball, so there is no ring left in it. When I dug my first one the property owners liked it so much I gave it to them.

A very toasty 1804 DBLC turned up and a beat up CW era coat sized 2 piece General Service button. To the right is a very early brass (wedding) band. It has a solder seam where it was connected together. I've dug 3 or 4 of these brass ones at early sites in the past.





Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!
Last edited:
Upvote
54
Just a couple week's ago I got a new detecting pack. My last detecting pack was the tecknetics backpack and I destroyed it in about two years. Both the shoulder strap buckles blew off while packing out iron. I had the lower strap webbing tied in knots around the upper straps. I decided that I needed to upgrade packs to a very durable one that can stand some abuse. This is kind of the opposite of any pack I own because its heavy and made to be abused. So I had it loaded with iron and it did pretty well.... however I know after a few years I will be replacing the shoulder strap buckles... no matter what, long hikes with lots of iron will take its toll on those plastic parts.
I am very lucky with that spoon... it was deep and I also had to move softball sized rocks to get at it. 99% of the time its a big piece of iron when it reads so loud and I get that deep. If it wasnt so thick and durable I am sure it would have broken when I got it out of there.
PEACE:RONB
Good choice. 
I love you setup! Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Deus! Super finds! 







