Early Human Settlement of Northeastern North America

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Thanks for the link. Looks very cool. Downloaded the PDF for future enjoyment.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! I look forward to checking this out!

OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bumpity bump.
Any thoughts on the dates, or types of artifacts recovered from the Parson's Island site?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bumpity bump.
Any thoughts on the dates, or types of artifacts recovered from the Parson's Island site?

Its interesting, and I guess some would say it's supportive of Solutrean connections, but they seem cautious, as they should be. It's exciting, but will be debated. We're still very early in recognizing the mere existence of pre-Clovis. The bipoints are an interesting part of the assemblage at that site. The article also pointed me to a Paleo site in southern New England that I was not aware of, which I really appreciated.

OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its interesting, and I guess some would say it's supportive of Solutrean connections, but they seem cautious, as they should be. It's exciting, but will be debated. We're still very early in recognizing the mere existence of pre-Clovis. The bipoints are an interesting part of the assemblage at that site. The article also pointed me to a Paleo site in southern New England that I was not aware of, which I really appreciated.
Thanks Charl, I was hoping to get your experienced thoughts on this report. I agree that caution is still needed before making firm conclusions, even as pre Clovis reports seem to be accelerating all across the American continents. I suspect you would be familiar with Athrur Speiss and might shed some light on his reputation in your region, as it was interesting to me that he and the others credited on this report have apparently signed on, at least to some degree, with Dr. Darren Lowery who is somewhat spearheading (pun intended) the Solutrean theory in this region. Mr. Lowery has an excellent reputation in this region, at least with local collectors and avocational archeologists, although no doubt has ruffled some headdress feathers of his paid peers.
I haven't any bipoints in my collection, nor fluted points unfortunately. Do you have any bipoints, or know of any amongst your contacts? I would suspect that by now some interested folks would be canvassing local collections looking for bipoints that might add further information or credence to these theories.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Charl, I was hoping to get your experienced thoughts on this report. I agree that caution is still needed before making firm conclusions, even as pre Clovis reports seem to be accelerating all across the American continents. I suspect you would be familiar with Athrur Speiss and might shed some light on his reputation in your region, as it was interesting to me that he and the others credited on this report have apparently signed on, at least to some degree, with Dr. Darren Lowery who is somewhat spearheading (pun intended) the Solutrean theory in this region. Mr. Lowery has an excellent reputation in this region, at least with local collectors and avocational archeologists, although no doubt has ruffled some headdress feathers of his paid peers.
I haven't any bipoints in my collection, nor fluted points unfortunately. Do you have any bipoints, or know of any amongst your contacts? I would suspect that by now some interested folks would be canvassing local collections looking for bipoints that might add further information or credence to these theories.

Yes, Speiss is among the best in the Northeast, where Paleo studies are concerned. And so was Jeff Boudreau, but he died suddenly, and way too young, a few years ago. Speiss identified one of our finds as a miniature fluted point, probably Bull Brook phase. One of the bipoints assembled by Stanford, and said to be the best of the group at the time, was found in a Providence, RI collection, but with no find information. I do have a bipointed leaf blade I found in RI years ago, but no reason to think it's that old. They are usually looked at as Late Archaic-Woodland, and referred to as leaf blades. Here it is. This did come from a field that gave up a couple of eastern Agate Basin-like points, but I'm sure it's later. One of my fellow members of the American Society Amateur Archaeology(ASAA) and TNet member Jason Lovett found what is apparently the first true Clovis(Ross County style) from New England a couple years ago, and has a write up on the ASAA website. The ASAA is Dr. Mike Gramly's group, another Paleo authority and friend of amateurs and collectors everywhere. I'm lucky he lives in this region. I'll post the report on the Lovett Clovis here. Anyway, it is all very exciting to see these early dates in the Northeast, especially down your way, and to contemplate the possibilities.

Here's the only bipoint I've found, but, again, these are known as leaf blades, and are probably Woodland, and with a little damage at both ends. A minority of leaf blades are bipointed, most are rounded off at one end....

IMG_7635.JPG

But here's the report on New England's first true Clovis find....

http://asaa-persimmonpress.com/doc/Evidence-Early-Clovis-Occupation-Middle-Connecticut-River.pdf

Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone here seen this report yet http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/20555563.2016.1212178
What are your thought's on the newly reported Parson's Island Site ?? Pretty exciting to me.

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. The author cited many influential archaeologists, many of whom have conflicting opinions of the peopling of the America's. It was nice to read a paper that did not simply omit works that were not firmly in line with his position. I plan to continue my research this spring on early Palaeo-American occupation of the Connecticut River Valley. I suspect that additional sites will be identified in the next several years that will significantly add to our knowledge on the topic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread