Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My main question is about the lead doohickey, it feels about the size of buckshot or a small musket ball but it is very mangled and not patinated. Is this just a ball in real rough shape or is it something else?
IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2931.JPG
Shown next to a lincoln for scale. Thanks!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ball is in rough shape. It's the right size for a "buck and ball" load. This was common type load for hunting with a muzzle loading gun.

Gettysburg-museum00238.jpg

You say there is NO patina? I suppose it could be fairly modern. One of the gun guys will have to speak to that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ball is in rough shape. It's the right size for a "buck and ball" load. This was common type load for hunting with a muzzle loading gun.

View attachment 1853168

You say there is NO patina? I suppose it could be fairly modern. One of the gun guys will have to speak to that.

There's a little, but mostly in the low parts. I suppose on the high edges and things my cleaning could have worn it off, usually the ones I find are very white like in your picture. I'm just super confused why it would be this mangled though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The musket balls in this picture are larger than yours, but you can see the first one is significantly misshapen due to being chewed.

connecticut musket balls.JPG

I don't suppose you're hunting anywhere near any Pequot War battlefields...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The musket balls in this picture are larger than yours, but you can see the first one is significantly misshapen due to being chewed.

View attachment 1853257

I don't suppose you're hunting anywhere near any Pequot War battlefields...

I wish! So it may have been chewed? Interesting, normally I would try and get a caliber off of it but I'm not even going to try. Thanks.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish! So it may have been chewed? Interesting, normally I would try and get a caliber off of it but I'm not even going to try. Thanks.

There is no question that men put musket balls in their mouths for various reasons, but there is a great debate on just how much damage human teeth can do to a lead ball.

And just to forestall any question about a patient having to "bite the bullet" during surgery back in the day - that didn't happen.

Upvote 0

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think patina is a good measure of age because different soil conditions can yield vastly different patinas. I once found a drop of three musket balls. Two of them were powdery white, and one of them was a far less oxidized, light gray. And these were less than a foot away from each other.

It’s probably a musket ball, just pretty beat up. As other posters have said, maybe even chewed. Some bullets are also chewed by animals.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread