Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting day began around 5:30 this morning. I had gone to a new site out in the country. It was a cloudy, windy day and the temps were perfect. I opted to start my hunt in the back yard. There was an old building, a well and a nice sized garden. Several of the children that lived there joined me and seemed amazed at how the detector worked. After a few minutes of digging in the hard soil, I jumped over to the freshly plowed plot. The first signal seemed like a good one, so I go to recover the target. Just the cutest little tin was in the hole. It was shaped like a miniature house and about the size of a 5X7 photograph. I managed to pry it open and see an envelope full of old coins, and underneath the coins was what looked like a valentine card in another envelope! I couldn't believe it!!! I ran to the truck and got the camera! Took a few pictures of the tin and the area I found it in. Just as I was about to open the envelope to reveal what the coins may be, the wind picked up considerably. I looked around and saw the clouds swirling all around. The sky was turning black and I could see debris flying through the air. Two of the smaller children were there by me and I grab them and shout to everyone else to run!! We're running, but not fast enough. The only other thing I could think to do was to fall to the ground and stay flat. I've got the two children under my arms and holding on them with all I had. Breathing became very difficult. It felt like my lungs were going to explode! Just as fast as it came, it was gone. I got up, checked the kids out and started looking for the others. As I turn around, I see them coming and am relieved that everyone was accounted for. I go back to the site and start looking for the tin, my camera, and my laptop that I had put on the patio table. I find the camera immediately, but it was soaked by the rain and wouldn't work. Moving limbs out of the way, I am frantically searching for that tin! All of a sudden, I can hear the sound of someones television? ??? How in the world could anyone have electricity after this storm? But sure enough, I can hear the program Fox and Friends! I don't understand? Next thing I know Charlie's talking to me and waking me up! Whaaaa!!!! CHARLIE!!! You should have waited and let me sleep AT LEAST another five minutes!!! I needed to recover that tin! :o :D ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well that's how my day started. :-X I really did get out this morning, but it was more like 8:30. And the site was the new one that I was so excited to try out. The owner of the land is so hospitable and I spent most of the day today sitting and listening and learning about the area from him. He had pictures to share of his Grandparents that had lived in the old homeplace...

f50579.jpg

f10451.jpg

f26579.jpg

It was a pleasure to have met this man. I was trying really hard to take in all he had to say so that I could remember it for another day. By afternoon temps had reached 92 degrees and I didn't mind at all sitting under that old shade tree and sharing a sweet slice of watermelon with him and Lisa. We did manage to get in several hours of hunting, but nothing much exciting found today. Most of the house is surrounded by poison oak, and I'll probably have a really good case of it next week. :P We'll put this one on hold till winter. :thumbsup:

Here are my finds for the day....
two wheats, 1919, 194?
a small lead seal with 'C No 13'
miners tag
knife
what looks like the boot from an old monopoly game
and most notably a zipper pull! :thumbsup: ;D
No tax tokens today! Can you believe it! :D

f54291.jpg

f55571.jpg

Going to try a new spot next week. Maybe it'll be for an easier hunt. :)

Have a great weekend!!! Nana :wink:

Upvote 0

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Awesome day.... The things dreams are made of. :wink:

Even a bad day for you is a good day in my book. :icon_study:

Good job

Baldingboy

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Story (dream) was wonderful. Always in search of that elusive hidden treasure. Wifes 95 year old grandmother is a joy to sit with and listen to her stories of long ago and battles with the calvary.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I read the part about the tin horse full of coins I skipped to the pictures, what, no picture of the horse, LOL, I finished reading your post and had a good laugh. Nice finds, love those lead seals. HH, Mike

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I kept dreaming of Half-dollars and silver dollars last night. Dreamt I hit a place and they started coming up out of the ground.

Must have been bad food and too much TNET!!!!!

Great finds. Nice ZP BTW!!! :thumbsup: ;D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana, nice assortment of goodies :thumbsup: . . . even if you were shy a few tax tokens ;D

It's always very cool when you can see photos of the folks that lived at the places you hunt :wink:

Take care,
watercolor

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Nana,,, you really had me going. I was on the edge of my seat for that one,,, Thanks for the rush... ;D
If you told your dream to someone before you had your breakfast, please be carefull out there. My Momma always said, "never talk about your dreams until after you have had your breakfast they just might come true". I think she may have just been trying to get one cup of coffee down before she had to listen to four kids rambling on, but ya never know... ;D

Sounds like you had a really nice hunt. I haven't had the pleasure of talking to any old timer's in quite awhile. I always enjoyed doing that.
Anyway,, great digs,,, Congrats on a good hunt...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You are a STINKER! I was getting ALLLL excited and .... and ... then ... Charlie popped into the picture!!! :D :tard:

Great story! Good luck ... I love the rocking chair shot!

Noodle

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww, BB! Thank you!! :-* You're too kind! :)

49er....WoW! Can you just imagine what all she's seen in her lifetime? :o

Thanks, Ty! :) I'm planning on going back but it'll be later in the year.

Mike! :D Caught ya not reading! :D

Thank you UP! :)

WC... ;D

Leon...Shoot! I should have told this one earlier in the day! :P :D

Noodle.... ;D

Have a great day, ya'll!!

Nana :)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,
You little fooler, you. :tongue3: You had me going with that story. I couldn't wait to hear what was in that envelope. :o
Good luck on your future hunts at that spot. I do like that little shoe though. Too old to be a Monopoly piece I think. :icon_scratch:
Congrats,
MM
P.S. I had a dream once that I was eating a giant marshmallow, and when I woke up my pillow was gone. :tongue3:
(I got that from an old Bazooka bubble gum comic) ;D

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JG...I didn't. :-\ I'm not sure he'd part with it. We went into the house and there was still a lot of old furniture AND junk in there. The one thing that really caught my attention were some old trunks..OH and the hand made mantle's around the fireplace! That was really neat! I don't know that he'd gift me the rocker, but I'd sure take it if he did!

Thanks!!!

me~

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Man you had me going. I thought wow that sucks getting hit by a tornado while detecting.
Then I started feeling a Dorothy and Wizard of Oz scenario coming into play.
You little stinker. Charlie needs to find you something to keep you a little more busy and out of mischief.. :wink: ;D

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Nana,
WHAT WOULD BE REALLY COOL IS IF LATER THIS YEAR WHEN YOU GO BACK, YOU FIND THAT TIN.
Great story,a nd some good finds.
Joe

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Silver! :)

just-geese said:
...don't guess you got to look in the trunks? That may be where the envelope of coins are ;D

Just a teeny peek in one of them. But only saw Christmas ornaments on the top shelf. We were both so scared that we were going to be attacked by mice that we didn't stay in there long. :D Yeah, ya'll would'a got a good laugh if that experience had been videoed! :D Guess I'll always wonder about it. :P

John... ;D SHHHHH! Don't say that too loud! :D

Joe...I'll keep looking! Gotta be there somewhere! :wink:

Nana :wink:

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great day Nana..the best part of detecting is the people you meet and the history they share with you...I love that old rocking chair on the porch and for him to share pics with you was fantastic.....

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure fooled me on your story...dang Charlie waking you up. Great finds...keep em coming.

:wink: RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions