Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting day began around 5:30 this morning. I had gone to a new site out in the country. It was a cloudy, windy day and the temps were perfect. I opted to start my hunt in the back yard. There was an old building, a well and a nice sized garden. Several of the children that lived there joined me and seemed amazed at how the detector worked. After a few minutes of digging in the hard soil, I jumped over to the freshly plowed plot. The first signal seemed like a good one, so I go to recover the target. Just the cutest little tin was in the hole. It was shaped like a miniature house and about the size of a 5X7 photograph. I managed to pry it open and see an envelope full of old coins, and underneath the coins was what looked like a valentine card in another envelope! I couldn't believe it!!! I ran to the truck and got the camera! Took a few pictures of the tin and the area I found it in. Just as I was about to open the envelope to reveal what the coins may be, the wind picked up considerably. I looked around and saw the clouds swirling all around. The sky was turning black and I could see debris flying through the air. Two of the smaller children were there by me and I grab them and shout to everyone else to run!! We're running, but not fast enough. The only other thing I could think to do was to fall to the ground and stay flat. I've got the two children under my arms and holding on them with all I had. Breathing became very difficult. It felt like my lungs were going to explode! Just as fast as it came, it was gone. I got up, checked the kids out and started looking for the others. As I turn around, I see them coming and am relieved that everyone was accounted for. I go back to the site and start looking for the tin, my camera, and my laptop that I had put on the patio table. I find the camera immediately, but it was soaked by the rain and wouldn't work. Moving limbs out of the way, I am frantically searching for that tin! All of a sudden, I can hear the sound of someones television? ??? How in the world could anyone have electricity after this storm? But sure enough, I can hear the program Fox and Friends! I don't understand? Next thing I know Charlie's talking to me and waking me up! Whaaaa!!!! CHARLIE!!! You should have waited and let me sleep AT LEAST another five minutes!!! I needed to recover that tin! :o :D ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well that's how my day started. :-X I really did get out this morning, but it was more like 8:30. And the site was the new one that I was so excited to try out. The owner of the land is so hospitable and I spent most of the day today sitting and listening and learning about the area from him. He had pictures to share of his Grandparents that had lived in the old homeplace...

f50579.jpg

f10451.jpg

f26579.jpg

It was a pleasure to have met this man. I was trying really hard to take in all he had to say so that I could remember it for another day. By afternoon temps had reached 92 degrees and I didn't mind at all sitting under that old shade tree and sharing a sweet slice of watermelon with him and Lisa. We did manage to get in several hours of hunting, but nothing much exciting found today. Most of the house is surrounded by poison oak, and I'll probably have a really good case of it next week. :P We'll put this one on hold till winter. :thumbsup:

Here are my finds for the day....
two wheats, 1919, 194?
a small lead seal with 'C No 13'
miners tag
knife
what looks like the boot from an old monopoly game
and most notably a zipper pull! :thumbsup: ;D
No tax tokens today! Can you believe it! :D

f54291.jpg

f55571.jpg

Going to try a new spot next week. Maybe it'll be for an easier hunt. :)

Have a great weekend!!! Nana :wink:

Upvote 0
R

RUDY2003

Dang Nana, you had me goin'.....It would be pretty cool though.
In my mind I can see Granny, Jethro, Ellie Mae and Uncle Jed sittin on that pourch just a rockin'...

Keep safe...

Keith

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:o Stay Safe Nana ;D Aren't you going to Kansas Nana?........Nice job and the Best of Luck to Ya!!! :thumbsup:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore.." :D

Good story and good finds Nana..bet you can't wait for the bad plants to die..that place looks to be fruitful.

Nat

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha! You really had me going with that tin thing ;D

I thought I was the only one who had dreams like that.

I usually wake up just when I get those pieces of 8 in my hands ;D

Great story from a great person.

Thanks!

Badger

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
rtde3 said:
I just searched my Cracker Jack Collectibles Book, and couldn't find any shoes. But, that doesn't mean that they didn't make them....... Not GE BTW, the book is authored by....Ravi Pina
OK Nana,
As I sit here Fox & Friends is on my TV. At first I'm thinking WOW she found a cache! Then I'm thinking Oh No a Twister! Then I'm thinking the tin is gone forever! Then I'm thinking, dang I didn't get any watermelon :-\ ;D

By the way, I just found out the that all of the monopoly game pieces were Cracker Jack toy prizes also!
So that shoe might have been from a box of Cracker Jack. Click here & read the last line of the 3rd paragraph.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Cracker-Jac...QugidZ10000000003847688QQ_trksidZp3286.c0.m17

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, DF. :)

Rob... :D Hey! Thanks for the Cracker Jack info! I would have never thought of that! I searched a little on-line and found a couple that were almost exactly like mine, only mine doesn't have an opening for a chain for it to be a charm. PS...if you're coming to Bama anytime soon, I have access to watermelons! :thumbsup: :D

http://www.tias.com/7760/PictPage/1923009096.html

Thanks, Gypsy! And yes, it is. I have learned so much about this area from the older folks around here. :)

RR.... ;D Thanks!

Nicky!...NO. Charlie's the Wizard! :thumbsup: ;D

Thanks, Jer. Yes, it's pretty hot down here. :P I went out this morning and by 1:30 it was 94 degrees. I didn't last long. :-\

Rudy...You wouldn't believe these folks! I get there this morning around 9:30 and owner greets me with fresh picked muscadines! Chats a while and then tells me dinner will be served at noon. ;D I tell him NOT to go to ANY trouble for me! But after hunting a little while, he's calling me in. I sat down to fresh purple hull peas, cornbread, hot peppers, fried okra, corn and the best, picked this morning, blueberry cobbler I've ever had! You wanna talk about some great folks! I love this place! :icon_queen:

Sherm... ;D :-*

Civil... I am! :D

Rm...Thank you!

Nat..I'll be back in Kansas in October! :thumbsup: Let's see if I can find that tin! ;D

Badger... ;D Do you ever get to keep them? 8) :D Thank you! :wink:

NGE...That's strange. Wonder why it wasn't in there? Thank you for looking for me though. :)

Thank you Texan! :)

Thanks again ya'll! Have a great day~
Nana :)

S

Scots Gaelic

Nice finds! For some reason I keep thinking I want that rocking chair, and that with a story of the history of the property, that it would sell well on ebay! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread