hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today with my new AT Pro to a site I'd been to several times before. Looks to be an old home site in the woods on a hill overlooking a large creek. Love going out there, its very scenic. Anyway I decided to work the side of a large ravine below the old foundation. The ravine drops down to a small feeder creek and I was about halfway down when I got a solid 90-92. Not really knowing what to expect I found what looked to be a copper plate about 5 inches down. I thought it might be a nameplate off of something so I wiped it with my glove to look for any markings. Thats when I saw the face! No way! I searched about an hour longer and found another one right below the first and a spoon. I padded it lightly with a damp sponge when I got home but that's all. The other one is pretty much toast. Not really sure what it is exactly. I mean I know the early photographs were on plates. I'm just not sure what type this is. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. The spoon says oneida hotel plate.
100_10681_zps0ec76592.jpg
[/IMG]
100_10731_zps414f021d.jpg
[/IMG]
100_10721_zps51d41111.jpg
[/IMG]
100_10711_zpsddfcd35e.jpg
[/IMG]

Upvote 2

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of photos where is yours?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.. that is awesome.
That must have been almost eerie the moment you were able to see the face.
If I were in your shoes I'd be doing a lot of research on the particular site and hopefully eventually coming up with an identity

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.. that is awesome. That must have been almost eerie the moment you were able to see the face. If I were in your shoes I'd be doing a lot of research on the particular site and hopefully eventually coming up with an identity
Yeah, it's one thing to find something that someone owned a long time ago but when they look back at you it gets your attention! I'll try to put a name to the face.

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a printing plate since it is a pos not neg. I have seen these before . they were popular at the turn of the century for people who wanted the old look of a daguerrotype after that process became obsolete.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. Those are print plates and would have been mounted to a block of wood to go into a press. You can see where it would be attached with tacks or nails on the top and bottom of the plate. I found one last year but didn't see the man's face until I scrubbed it with an SOS pad and the man was looking back at me. Looks like you're on a great site, keep it up.
1_zps7a8c9bcf.jpg
2_zps8fd82ff5.jpg

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Looks like your photo Sooper Dave.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id spend some time in that holler, they are often chosen for garbage dumps. "Throw it down over the bank" is what my Pap would say at the farm. If he didn't want it, that's where it went.
I found a few coin's in the hollers before.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread