Ears up, Eyes open!

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me first start off by saying, beware of hunting near any body of water here in the northeast, more especially in the NY/NJ/PA area give that we had next to no rain for quite a while and the snakes are coming down for a drink. I did a quick hunt at an old bottle dump I have worked over and over again with machine and shovel, but never a sifting box. Well as I was leaving my spot I heard that tell tale rattle, o no another rattlesnake (no sidearm today), given that I nor it were not cornered, we avoided each other(no pic). So as I was walking out the parks main trail, I hear that rattle again, uggh, another snake, although this one was hyper aggressive. He was sitting along a rock wall and my dumb-- who likes to take risks, most of the time not the smartest ones, I wanted to catch the snake throw up its rattle on video..to no avail...

All of a sudden, I see a guy and his dog off the leash..being a dog owner and knowing the outright curiousness of dogs, I was like "O Sh-t!"..so I hooted to get the guy to put his dog on the leash because there's a rattlesnake...then this guy blurts out "Kill it" I was like wtf? Then he says he killed two before. Now before I add the video, I do not believe in killing anything..well...for no reason, this guy wanted to kill it, fortunately I saved its life by making sure he didn't..Some people..:dontknow:

Ok, so back to what I found..Nothing really to call home about, did find a few bottles, not very old since they have a screw top, however since they don't look like a normal screw top, maybe a Goldy's Cap? Also found a small non-bromo cobalt and a bordens half pint milk bottle. Although these bottles aren't my cup of tea, I do know of a few people who will take them off my hands...

On a side note, the two screw tops (maybe goldy's) have the makers mark "W.D.C.O" with "CN in a square, I have dug around all my links and couldn't find any info, any idea?
WDCO.png

The bottles..
T2.jpg

Found a marble, few beads and buttons..
T1.jpg

A whole bunch of worthless junk..
T4.jpg

Best find of the day, a frying pan!
T3.jpg

Anybody care for some honey mushrooms?
Honeymushroom.jpg

Gotta do more research, my wells are running dry. After all the sifting foray's I still have yet to find a coin, found everything else but a coin...go figure.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
nice finds, my wife and I got on a rattlesnake yesterday while out in the woods, it was in a hurry to get gone! pretty

Rattlers are protected in Penna.

That is some cool stuff. I like your random finds rather than seeing coins all the time. Your either a snake magnet or there are a lot of snakes where you go.

That is some cool stuff. I like your random finds rather than seeing coins all the time. Your either a snake magnet or there are a lot of snakes where you go.

Thanks bud! I agree however with this coin drought I am on, I would give just one week of finding nothing but coins, rather than rusted relics, bottles and buttons. Fall is on the way, so maybe we can get some rain here to soften up the ground here, its concrete hard...maybe a hurricane (not wishing for one) so it can erode the beachs a little more so more hard times tokens, Hibernia's and KG's can reveal themselves...

There is a lot of snakes around here, since I live in the foothills of the Appalachian's and the Catskill mountains there is lots of room to hide for them, on top of the lack of rain that's driving them out of the mountains...

Don't even get me started on the monster black racers around here, I saw one last year pushing 10" + feet
BR.jpg

Funny thing Is here where I live in Otsego county very , very few rattlers (almost nonexistent) but if you go north an hour or south an hour into the adirondaks or the catskills and they are everywhere . You guys can keep them ...... although they aren't bad tasting

Funny thing Is here where I live in Otsego county very , very few rattlers (almost nonexistent) but if you go north an hour or south an hour into the adirondaks or the catskills and they are everywhere . You guys can keep them ...... although they aren't bad tasting

Thats odd, I never would of thought that. The ironic thing is I am 25 miles north of NYC and we have bears, coyotes rattlers and copperheads, bobcats and maybe a few mountain lions...strange

Ya funny isn't it . I live in a town with a population of 210 where my closest neighbor is a half mile away and we have everything you mentioned here except the snakes . No one thinks of that type of a wide open area when they think of New York . Although I do run into an occasional snake when I go north in the summer or fall for salmon fishing

Ya funny isn't it . I live in a town with a population of 210 where my closest neighbor is a half mile away and we have everything you mentioned here except the snakes . No one thinks of that type of a wide open area when they think of New York . Although I do run into an occasional snake when I go north in the summer or fall for salmon fishing

I used to do the salmon up by Lake Ontario and its tribs, used to nail huge browns...unfortunately the guy I went with who was an older gentleman passed away, so now my focus as its always been is fishing the Atlantic..

nice finds mucky.Looking at some of those spikes I would guess that site goes back a ways old.In some cases people use to use them for tent pegs.Looks like you are putting in some work there.I would bring that machine back out too.Man them snakes just love you:laughing7:they might have tracked you down to avenge their brother.good stuff man!

nice finds mucky.Looking at some of those spikes I would guess that site goes back a ways old.In some cases people use to use them for tent pegs.Looks like you are putting in some work there.I would bring that machine back out too.Man them snakes just love you:laughing7:they might have tracked you down to avenge their brother.good stuff man!

The land dates from the late 1600's, to put it in perspective:

"The Harris patent was granted to " Robert Harris, late Mate of His
Majesty's Hospital," and contained the land within the following lines :
Beginning at John Wood's tree, and running thence along the western
Une of the Kakiat patent, north 40 degs. west 247 chains 60 links ;
thence- south 68 degs. west ii chains; thence south 45 degs., west 205
chains to the north bounds of Provost's land ; and thence along the same
to the place of beginning, containing 2,000 acres. "

Its old stuff..unfortuantely the good stuff is very deep in iron packed land so my machine is relatively useless..

Last edited:
I used to do the salmon up by Lake Ontario and its tribs, used to nail huge browns...unfortunately the guy I went with who was an older gentleman passed away, so now my focus as its always been is fishing the Atlantic..

My brother lives on the Salmon River estuary in Pulaski. Beautiful area. For detecting though, I'd much rather be near your location. Nice snake. I just had a close encounter with a 5 foot rattler up here in MA. Pretty cool to see in person.

Sorry for the loss of your friend I know the feeling . This past deer season I lost my hunting mentor who had been with us for many years

I knew we had rattlers up in Lake George area, didn't realize we had them to the South also. What area you detecting in ???

I knew we had rattlers up in Lake George area, didn't realize we had them to the South also. What area you detecting in ???

Rockland, Orange counties. .I saw a lot more where I grew up in Jersey..more heavy on the copperhead side, but there were plenty of rattlesnakes to go around, more so in the nj highlands

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back