EBAY problem

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I sold an old piece of electronics to a guy in CA and he gets it plugs it in and says it doesn't work. I am sure this is not his first rodeo since he opened the box from the backside so as not to tear into my printed out paid postage print out I tape to the top of all my packages. He takes it back to the PO and says he refused the package. He opened it and resealed it without them knowing. Anyway I get it back today and it looks fine so I plug it in and powers on no problem and all the buttons work. So this guy wants a full refund which I said I would give because he said the machine was broken. It was a free shipping deal, so it looks like I am out money. If this guy is scamming me I haven't figured out what he got out of it or maybe he truly is a complete moron and does not know how to operate simple buttons? Either way is there any recourse for me here or am I out my postage? Thanks.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
youre lucky you got your stuff back....call it a loss on the postage...and refund the guys money ...if you stated in your auction that you would pay postage both ways youre pretty much stuck....ebay should refund your fees....

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep we all love Ebay for some things, but you always have to watch out... There is no avoiding this one though.

rgalan2003

Jun 14, 2005
pachuca mexico
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
deus xp v2.0,cscope 1220xd,yukon compass 77b(automatic and no automatic)nautilus IIB,teknetics mark I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 130 items and two of the were very bad bad bad.Pleas You must to use your minds I dont speack english

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold an old piece of electronics to a guy in CA and he gets it plugs it in and says it doesn't work. I am sure this is not his first rodeo since he opened the box from the backside so as not to tear into my printed out paid postage print out I tape to the top of all my packages. He takes it back to the PO and says he refused the package. He opened it and resealed it without them knowing. Anyway I get it back today and it looks fine so I plug it in and powers on no problem and all the buttons work. So this guy wants a full refund which I said I would give because he said the machine was broken. It was a free shipping deal, so it looks like I am out money. If this guy is scamming me I haven't figured out what he got out of it or maybe he truly is a complete moron and does not know how to operate simple buttons? Either way is there any recourse for me here or am I out my postage? Thanks.

He could have returned it for any number of reasons but chose to use "It didn't work". If you weren't offering any refunds then they may have felt it was their only way out.

Issue the refund, be thankful you received the item back and forget about the postage because you have to.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I just sold a minelab sovereign on ebay ... And a hour after i sold it i get a email from the buyer he don't want it and won't pay.....So now i have to wait for him to ok the no sale to ebay or i get charged the 9% fee for selling it..Then i will have pay pal go after him for my $45.00.. fee I did not know that my total fee was 9% till i talked to some one from ebay tonight....

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a minelab sovereign on ebay ... And a hour after i sold it i get a email from the buyer he don't want it and won't pay.....So now i have to wait for him to ok the no sale to ebay or i get charged the 9% fee for selling it..Then i will have pay pal go after him for my $45.00.. fee I did not know that my total fee was 9% till i talked to some one from ebay tonight....

Why would Paypal be involved? If the buyer never paid you can use the "Resolution Center" on your Ebay account and request that the sale be cancelled due to the buyer changing his mid. The buyer then has 5 days to approve the cancellation. If he does nothing, you can cancel the sale after the 5 days and all your fees will be refunded.

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can request that the transaction be cancelled and receive your Ebay seller fees, but you are out of luck on the shipping fees you incurred. As other have mentioned you should consider yourself lucky to get the item back in working order. I sell auto parts on Ebay and twice I have had buyers return their old broken part in place of the new one I sent them. The one time Paypal refused to force the refund, but the other time it was my word against theirs and I was out the item, the payment and the shipping charges.

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate paypal. That is one of the big reason I use ebay rarely now I used to do 100 auctions a month. I sold a knife to a guy in France who claimed he never got it so paypal stole the money from my account. I got a letter stating the French postal authorities assured it was delivered and gave a date of deliver. Paypal would not give me my money back it was over $400. No more international shipping and ebay is used rarely I disdain using paypal. I use other venues to sell on line and am doing even better with lower fews and am not forced to use ebay.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Why would Paypal be involved? If the buyer never paid you can use the "Resolution Center" on your Ebay account and request that the sale be cancelled due to the buyer changing his mid. The buyer then has 5 days to approve the cancellation. If he does nothing, you can cancel the sale after the 5 days and all your fees will be refunded.
Could be i got it wrong but they did say that it would be 1 to 7 days before i could cancell the sale.. But said the buyer had to ok the cancellation ....... and i don't think this buyer is going to help in any way.........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate paypal. That is one of the big reason I use ebay rarely now I used to do 100 auctions a month. I sold a knife to a guy in France who claimed he never got it so paypal stole the money from my account. I got a letter stating the French postal authorities assured it was delivered and gave a date of deliver. Paypal would not give me my money back it was over $400. No more international shipping and ebay is used rarely I disdain using paypal. I use other venues to sell on line and am doing even better with lower fews and am not forced to use ebay.
What other venues do you use that gives you so many to view you sale item's ?

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

amazon

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

amazon
Yes i did use Amazon before and never had a problem.... I will try them again.....

IamJan

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2011
North Carolina
Keppy. I used to sale on ebay all the time but now I use the Facebook Yardsale sites for my area. No listing fee. No shipping. Just join Facebook. Search for the yardsales in your area. County and City and start listing. :toothy4:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy. I used to sale on ebay all the time but now I use the Facebook Yardsale sites for my area. No listing fee. No shipping. Just join Facebook. Search for the yardsales in your area. County and City and start listing. :toothy4:
Never knew about that... Thank you...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread