What's new

Effects of counting halves on machines

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
I was talking to a worker at a branch of my dump bank. His location does not have a coin counting machine, so they make the customers bring in rolls. I was calling to see if he had any available rolls to sell. We got to BS'ing about CRHing, and he mentioned that he came from a branch that has a machine and he was telling me about how much counting halves really tore up the machine. He was not saying it in a way derisive against CRHers, but was simply explaining how he was trying to get his branch manager to buy a machine at his bank, but they would not yet ok it because of the cost 6-7K for a new machine.

He said that the machines at the other branches (some of them where I dump) get damaged because of the heavy weight of the coins and because of the level of grime on the coins. Over time the belts, or whatever it is, wears down. The machines this bank has at its branches are the kind behind the counter that count super fast. When they run them through it almost sounds like it counts at machine gun like speed.

I know that at two of my favorite dump branches their machines have been down a time or two in the last 7 weeks since I have been CRHing.

Anyone else experience this type of thing?

P.S. I also dump at a bank that uses self service machines where you push the coins in and the coins are slowly (compared to the above type machines) fed onto this device that spins in a circle and adds them up. It seems to me that this type of machine is less likely to damage. I have so far never had one of these jam on me when I use them.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
theres about 7 free counters in my area only 3 of them seem to enjoy taking halves. the other 4 machines jam, clog, break, and not seem to digest halves well even though they are supposed to take them
 
Ain't found a counting machine anywhere here.

But I gotta have the coolest dump bank anywhere.

Robin
 
The machines I use sounds like it is grinding them up. It spins up $500 in about a minute.
 
Sounds like that halves are hard on equipment ... I dont have one anywheres near me so I havent seen on work .
 
I think that's not all right.
It takes 50 pennies to make a half and you probably couldn't quantify the damage a machine incurs counting 50 pennies as opposed to 1 half, not to mention the grime, bent coins, etc.
They engineer them to handle the weight.
You would have to do a side by side based on thruput with numbers of coins being the basis of comparison for a good test.
However, if the basis was $, I would put my money on the fact that the machine would need less maintenance counting halves vs pennies.
 
Actually in my experience, I've found that the damage to the machines more likely comes from

=garbage fed into the machine,
=jewelry
=broken glass
=gravel
=screws
=pins
=needles (one bank actually pulled a hyperdermic needle out of one of their machines)
=etc...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom