What's new

Effigy figure? Tinkler plate?

thebmasur

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2017
Messages
95
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some new finds at the Indian site I've been at lately. I'm really interested in the little figure. I think it's lead. I was thinking it might be an effigy? There's also a dimple on the back of its "head." The triangular plate could possibly be a tinkler plate? No clue on the round tag with two holes. Hopefully you guys will find these interesting and maybe have some info. Thanks!! IMG_3289.webp
IMG_1321.webp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Knife collector I see-- where's the Spyderco? :)
 
Knife collector I see-- where's the Spyderco? :)

Hahah good eye! I am a custom knife collector. I do have 2 spyderco however! Everyone needs at least one


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Check out my knife-maker friend. About the coolest old dude on the planet....and his stuff is top notch IMO

Home
 
Check out my knife-maker friend. About the coolest old dude on the planet....and his stuff is top notch IMO

Home

That's awesome! Thanks for the link. Looks like he's doing some solid work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Knife collector I see-- where's the Spyderco? :)

I actually just got this knife a few days ago. It's supposedly an 18th century fur trade knife. Not sure how to confirm or deny that, but I think it's pretty neat regardless. IMG_3364.webpIMG_3363.webp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Indian Effigy

Hi,

this is an area that I am quite interested in (native Indian metal artifacts). A few years ago I found a lead fish effigy ear or nose ring. The item I found was a lead fish with a hole in it and a lead ring going thought it. While you may not be able to notice it, the lead fish has some remnants of gold leaf on its surface. This was found in a woods that in the past I have also found a few arrowheads (both stone and copper metal). I have researched this topic on the web and have found very little on it. One article that showed some pictures of some artifacts excavated from Massachusetts which included some animal effigies made of lead. What intrigues me is whether these items were made by colonist and traded or were originally made by the native Indians themselves. My current opinion is that your item and mine are not trade items (like rings or axes) but original indian made works that have been made from scrap trade metal during the 17th and 18th century. My guess is that your item was part of an earring or necklace (with the hole simply closed up with oxidation) Any thoughts from others are welcome. Also, I would appreciate any references any body has to any archeological articles that cover this topic.
 

Attachments

  • Indianjewlery.webp
    Indianjewlery.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi,

this is an area that I am quite interested in (native Indian metal artifacts). A few years ago I found a lead fish effigy ear or nose ring. The item I found was a lead fish with a hole in it and a lead ring going thought it. While you may not be able to notice it, the lead fish has some remnants of gold leaf on its surface. This was found in a woods that in the past I have also found a few arrowheads (both stone and copper metal). I have researched this topic on the web and have found very little on it. One article that showed some pictures of some artifacts excavated from Massachusetts which included some animal effigies made of lead. What intrigues me is whether these items were made by colonist and traded or were originally made by the native Indians themselves. My current opinion is that your item and mine are not trade items (like rings or axes) but original indian made works that have been made from scrap trade metal during the 17th and 18th century. My guess is that your item was part of an earring or necklace (with the hole simply closed up with oxidation) Any thoughts from others are welcome. Also, I would appreciate any references any body has to any archeological articles that cover this topic.

Very cool find!! Nice to see there are similar items out there. I had the same thought that perhaps it was produced by the natives themselves. It seems rather crude to have been a trade piece. It's possible that it had a hole in it. The back has an round indent that could be remnants of a hole. It's unfortunate that there isn't more info out there because I would love to learn more. If you find out anything more please let me know! I will do the same.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom