What's new

Effigy maybe?

m198

Greenie
Joined
Oct 29, 2012
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a field and thought it could be a hammer stone. When I got home and cleaned it off I saw what looks like two eyes. It looks like an effigy of some sort. It fits the shape of the hand and has a place for the thumb notched out. Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Effigy.webp
 
Upvote 0
I realize I'm in your guys house and that you got each others backs. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, so please don't get me wrong. I'll try to explain what I'm seeing in the stone, so here goes. I found this in an area where I've been lucky at finding middle archaic to early woodland artifacts. To say lucky is an understatement, it's a gold mine. As said before, I see seven signs of human work or thought.
1. The person took thought to find a stone that would fit the hand as well as this one does. 2.3. The peaking or drilling of each eye. 4. The eyes are spaced and in a place and proportion to the stone to be considered eyes. 5. When held as the picture above, thought was used to make the eyes parallel to the ground. 6. At the bottom of the stone/face on both sides you can see polishing to better shape/form to make the stone appear better as a face. 7. Where the end of my thumb is in the picture their is notching for the thumb to better grasp the stone. Other than what is mentioned above their are no marks or damage to the stone besides weathering. To me with the accumulation and locations/placements of this characteristics makes it more than coincidence.
I think the weathering on the stone is what is throwing you guys off.
That is my take on this stone. If I'm a fool at least I'm my own fool. Face to face or not.
 
Hey if you want to believe it is an effigy nothing wrong with that......You can always take it and have it authenticated.........
 
Well, I guess that what it has come to with you. Have fun making little piles of shards.

To add to the comment that this effigy is not creative enough. Man didn't start out as master artist. Ask the average person today to make a face on a stone. You might be surprised.

Sorry all, I should have started showing my more common and well documented artifacts. Not a smart move on my part to start with this one.
 
Last edited:
m198 said:
I realize I'm in your guys house and that you got each others backs. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, so please don't get me wrong. I'll try to explain what I'm seeing in the stone, so here goes. I found this in an area where I've been lucky at finding middle archaic to early woodland artifacts. To say lucky is an understatement, it's a gold mine. As said before, I see seven signs of human work or thought.
1. The person took thought to find a stone that would fit the hand as well as this one does. 2.3. The peaking or drilling of each eye. 4. The eyes are spaced and in a place and proportion to the stone to be considered eyes. 5. When held as the picture above, thought was used to make the eyes parallel to the ground. 6. At the bottom of the stone/face on both sides you can see polishing to better shape/form to make the stone appear better as a face. 7. Where the end of my thumb is in the picture their is notching for the thumb to better grasp the stone. Other than what is mentioned above their are no marks or damage to the stone besides weathering. To me with the accumulation and locations/placements of this characteristics makes it more than coincidence.
I think the weathering on the stone is what is throwing you guys off.
That is my take on this stone. If I'm a fool at least I'm my own fool. Face to face or not.

This is your house brother!! Welcome aboard!! Don't feel like you are being teamed up on. None of us get along. Lol! However, you will see as time goes on, we all respect each other's opinions and advice. I remember saying the exact same thing you said. Just hang in past the hazing. We all feel insulted at first, it really isn't like that!
 
Hey M198,
It would seem that the only way you are going to find some peace here- and some piece of mind with this T-Net community, it to take your rock to a university or college or a well-season, well-respected authenticator. You don't know anyone here from Adam's house cat, so there's no reason for you to believe that a)there are quite a number of very wise, sometimes professional members here to help you and advise you b)that we actually do not have one another's backs (read past posts on effigies or any other item of questionable authenticity- like 'plummets' for example. So, please. I think we're all urging you to bring it to a show or a respected educational arena or authenticator so you understand what we're trying so hard to tell you. We're all in the same boat- most of us, anyway. There are a ton of things I see on hunts- nearly every time I go out, which I honestly have no clue about- and I'm nearly 100% sure they were/are SOMEthing, but I just don't know what. Over the years, I've found that I'm wrong (due to lack of education/enlightenment) about 70% of the time. On the flip side, I find that as time goes by, I find that SOME things I've picked up- and didn't know or understand, are in fact, real tools- or real Somethings. The key is, you have to have an open mind. No matter what. You have to except that there are things you don't know or understand yet. If you enter into a conversation with the answer already in mind, there is no conversation. And there is no room to learn or grow in your knowledge base. These folks are good folks. I think we'd all be really pleased (albeit amazed...)to find out we were wrong about this. We want to learn too, you see. So whatever you find out about that piece, please share. Either way, we're ALL learning then. Right? Happy hunting!
Yakker
 
m198,
if you go back and read the thread "sweet find" you will see that my first post here was met with doubt as well, but you know what? thats ok! this is a forum based on opinions, opinions based on personal experience, formal education, field work, or quite simply time. Do I personally believe your stone is an effigy? I'm sorry but no. Is it possible, sure! When asking the opinion of another, you run the risk of them not agreeing with you. however, being offended at being disagreed with only harbors resentment. Is your rock something I would keep? absolutely, it looks sweet (granted I'm a rock nut as well.)

Please dont think me rude, as I am far from such, but posting something in hopes of affirmation of your own opinion means that there will always be a chance of being disappointed. you have a great deal of liking and faith in your find. Just because we do not, does not make it any less real to you. enjoy your find, after all... isn't that what it's all about? trudging through the mud or desert in rain, snow or sweltering sun with our noses to the ground to find that one thing that makes us step back and go "WHOA!" :headbang:
 
M198, you asked what we thought and our
opinions and that is what members gave. Unless I missed it and I will look again I don't think anyone was out of line.

I myself still think it is just a rock, I have found dozens that looked like that over the years when I hunted in Missouri.

Get it authenticated by a professional.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom