What's new

Effigy maybe?

m198

Greenie
Joined
Oct 29, 2012
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a field and thought it could be a hammer stone. When I got home and cleaned it off I saw what looks like two eyes. It looks like an effigy of some sort. It fits the shape of the hand and has a place for the thumb notched out. Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Effigy.webp
 
Upvote 0
Sorry bro its just a rock. Did you think they made an effigy hammer stone? It must have been someone they really didn't like..take that..and that..and..........THAT.. Kidding aside.. There would be some damage From use if it was a hammer stone. Keep looking and welcome.
 
Really bro, Like I said at first I thought it might be a hammer stone. But after the clean up I was thinking effigy?
 
Sorry, just a rock. Imagination working just q little over time.

Better luck next time.....
 
Last edited:
Well, Thanks for the luck. I'm a little disappointed at the quick dismissals.
 
here is how i hunt,
learn what flint looks like.
look for flint flakes.
any where you find flakes.
is a good spot. a hunting camp or a village, or the site the flint comes from.
stay near the water within 1 mile anyway's.(river,creeks,springs)
i do it this way because so many times the point is just barly showing.
you harly ever find a point laying on top of the ground. where you can see the whole shape.
look for flakes, pick them all up. you be glade you did one day.
when you reach down to get what you think for sure is just a flake, and a 5 in. point pulls out.
 
Well, Thanks for the luck. I'm a little disappointed at the quick dismissals.

Sorry your disappointed, not trying to bust your hopes, but there is nothing there to suggest it was worked or is anything more than a rock with 2 dimples in it... Mother nature forms trillions of rocks, billions of which are formed in shapes man sees things in, but in the end they are still just rocks...
 
I mean this in the most friendly way but we have to agree to disagree. Maybe the pictures don't do it justice. When I show people without telling them any of my thoughts they automatically see it. Thanks for looking and opinion.
 
People see things in the clouds. Why would you ask the opinion of a group of....dare I say it...professionals only to already have your mind made up? I really don't get why people do that. Its just a rock. Wow it has two dimples... I just don't get people ....why..????
 
Look at this..its just a rock too...what do you see? An achordian?

ForumRunner_20121030_010101.webp
 
Sorry man, that is just a natural rock with a couple of dimples. I could walk out in my driveway and find several that look like they are faces, but that doesn't make them effigies.
 
I mean this in the most friendly way but we have to agree to disagree. Maybe the pictures don't do it justice. When I show people without telling them any of my thoughts they automatically see it. Thanks for looking and opinion.

Are the people your showing it to artifact hunters with a lot of experience or are they just acquaintances? I have found lots of rocks that if I showed them to the average person they would think they were artifacts but they were just rocks shaped like points or strange shapes...............You could always find a local artifact show and take it to it and let them look at it....

In the end as long as you like the rock that is what counts.
 
My mind was 100% to it being an effigy. I guess I was looking for that stamp of approval from you guys. I apologize for using the site like that. I also know their are some advanced collectors on this site with alot of knowledge to be gained. If you guys say fantasy rock I can respect your opinion. Believe me I have got buckets of fantasy and dream rocks, so I know how the mind can work. I also know that alot of hunters get fixated on certain materials and types of artifacts. And when something doesn't fit into a pattern or group they dismiss it. I have looked behind other searchers and have seen the shards that they have left in little piles but failed to see the Celt. Some of you say their are no signs of human work on this rock. I can see seven signs of work or thought that the person had into making this.
 
I learned really fast not to post my "effigies" on here. I had my feelings hurt, I will not lie about it. However, these guys probably saved me from making a fool of myself in front of a person. Cyber friends, are friends you can make that foolish claim in front of, because they have no image. These guys have become some of my dearest friends. Some have voices, but none have faces as of yet. Hopefully, some of us will meet face to face one day, and I can deny that I ever called such and such an effigy.
 
m198, what you have to understand about Effigies is the Indians were a very artistic and creative people and when they did Effigies there was no doubt that it was indeed an Effigy and it would look exactly like what they were trying to depict. Check out the Birdstones, the Poverty Point Beads, and all of the Effigy Pipes that they made. There is no doubt what they were trying to depict, so why would they peck two little tiny spots on a rock to make an Effigy.

You can think what you want of the rock, but I have 47 years of experience collecting artifacts and have have several Effigy pieces I have found and I wouldn't have given that rock so much as a second look.
 
Last edited:
I was staying away but I guess I will help in the nay side of it. I remember when I first started collecting I use to bring home buckets of rocks. I was so happy that I had found so many cool items. I still have a bucket of those to help me remember all the good times. But now I look at them and wonder what I was thinking. As you learn what to look for as far as an artifact you will be able to go back and look at your rock and see the difference. Just hang on to it and keep looking and in a few yrs you will see. I like rocks too.
 
Sorry about the quick dismissal too but you asked for an opinion so these guys jumped on it. It helps a lot to know in what context you found it. Was it in an old camp site? Maybe other artifacts surrounding it? And all 'effigies' were not man made. You might see a rock shaped like a buffalo and you would pick that up and it would become an effigy as they call it. A Kiowa friend of mine showed me a natural rock that looked like a running horse that his grandfather had found many years ago, kept and passed down. That was cool to see and I could feel the power in that stone. That rock had provenance; yours doesn't. All you have so far is 'here's a rock'. Put up some more info.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom