Elbow Cay, Cay Sal Bank, Bahamas.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Flying over the other day and I had to grab this pretty picture.

It was 85F on the ground, with light tropical breezes.

Some history-

Cay Sal Lighthouse, a tall stone lighthouse was built by the British on the island of North Elbow Cay in 1839 along with some small buildings.[SUP][8][/SUP] It marked the southern entrance to the Florida Straits from the Gulf of Mexico and was active until the 1940s.[SUP][8][/SUP] The abandoned lighthouse was briefly reactivated during the 1970s, when the Royal Bahamas Defence Force set up a post on nearby Cay Sal Island to watch for drug smugglers. The small outpost on Cay Sal island included the only airstrip on Cay Sal Bank and was kept from the 1960s to late 1970's.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][10]

Lghthouse.jpg [/SUP]

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a couple of years on Hopetown Island, very close by with the Candy Cane lighthouse, as a young boy back in the mid 1960s.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your still in the keys pm me. Im back from the islands and will be hitting some spots this week. Looks like your going the direction I just came from.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That picture gives a guy an itch to do some detecting.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I've never heard of this island before. You'd think some billionaire would own for themselves. Ain't nobody there.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. I've never heard of this island before. You'd think some billionaire would own for themselves. Ain't nobody there.

Nothing but a bunch of mosquitoes, a few birds, the occasional Cuban refugee on a broken boat, and NO fresh water.

The whole string of rocks are about the same.

IMG_8026.jpg

There is an old wooden Cuban refugee boat on this one.

IMG_8029.jpg

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the perfect place to go!. I don't enjoy crowds too much.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it now sounds like a bad place to end up. How would it have been the long ago lighthouse keepers would obtain fresh water. Would the only way have been to transport it there. ? Maybe cistern would keep up enough from rainfall :dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
To me it now sounds like a bad place to end up. How would it have been the long ago lighthouse keepers would obtain fresh water. Would the only way have been to transport it there. ? Maybe cistern would keep up enough from rainfall :dontknow:

It's uninhabited because of the problems keeping the place supplied.

There is not enough rainfall to support a cistern. You would have to set up solar panels, a desalinator, ship in all supplies-

The only abundant thing here is conch and fish. It's 30 miles north of Cuba, 55 miles southeast of the Keys.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a good Cuban cigar would make the stay on that place a little better, but what then after you smoke that all down ??? Boy I bet there's some untold horror stories that could be told on what happened on a visit to an island like that. Certainly not a paradise.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many treasure galleons have wrecked on every side of the bank. Ive herd stories of coins being found on cay sal island. I was told by a keys native that a whole chest of coins were found in the 70s. Check out the shipwreck forum. I think. Woops thread is " brig helen mar with 109,000 in specie 1835" I fish there sometimes its an awsome place !!!

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if I had a boat that could get me off, it does look like a neat place to explore. Those old structures and lighthouse look pretty interesting.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What country owns the place?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys