Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all,
Had a little fun in the garage tonight. We are iced in so had to find somethin to keep me busy. Found the key the other day at a new house I have been hunting. After 3 hours in the bath it came out great. Here's the kicker. Showed it to my buddy and he tried it in a bedroom lock at his house. We were surprised when it turned and locked the door. Good thing the door was open. Cause the key won't unlock it. I ribbed my buddy pretty good for that, cause he can't find his keys to unlock it now. Happy Holidays.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Attachments

• before and after key.jpg
    before and after key.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 514

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! Never tried it,afraid of eating object. Funny story about the lock.Glad everything turned out.Ha Ha

CivilWarJR

Greenie
Dec 3, 2008
South West Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX300/Prizm ll
Hi JuJu, I've got one of them old keyz that looks just like yours. I think I'll give it a try and see how it comes out. Thanx, and the best of luck for 2009.

S

seger98

Wow juju, you did a awesome job on that key! Could you take a picture of your setup?

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seger98 said:
Wow juju, you did a awesome job on that key! Could you take a picture of your setup?
Here ya go.
JuJu

Attachments

• DSCN1040.JPG
    DSCN1040.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 407
  • RSCN1039.JPG
    RSCN1039.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 412
S

seger98

Thanks, just a simple setup then? Amazing job you did on that. Thanks

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seger98 said:
Thanks, just a simple setup then? Amazing job you did on that. Thanks
Your welcome. It is as simple as you can get. Doesn't sound that way when ya read about em, but can't get any more basic.
JuJu

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, that cleaned up amazingly nice! I have used electrolysis on silver, but never on iron. I have just found something old and iron that I want to clean up however. So, I have some questions about how you cleaned the key.

What did you add to the water? I have been using salt and lemon juice.
How long does an object need to be in the bath? With ocean silver, 3-5 miniutes is usually all it takes.
Is higher or lower voltage/amperage better?
Stainless steel spoon sufficient for the second metal object in the bath?
How do you remove the rust once it has soaked?
That looks like plastic - the action of the process does not eat through it?

I hope this is not too much to ask. I do not want to ruin this handgun I found, and I am trying to do my research first. Thank you for your help.
Anthony

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Narthoniel said:
Wow, that cleaned up amazingly nice! I have used electrolysis on silver, but never on iron. I have just found something old and iron that I want to clean up however. So, I have some questions about how you cleaned the key.

What did you add to the water? I have been using salt and lemon juice.
How long does an object need to be in the bath? With ocean silver, 3-5 miniutes is usually all it takes.
Is higher or lower voltage/amperage better?
Stainless steel spoon sufficient for the second metal object in the bath?
How do you remove the rust once it has soaked?
That looks like plastic - the action of the process does not eat through it?

I hope this is not too much to ask. I do not want to ruin this handgun I found, and I am trying to do my research first. Thank you for your help.
Anthony
Ok here goes.
I add only salt to distilled water.
I have had the best luck with 12 volt, and the amperage depends on the size of the object. I have never needed over 2 amps. The larger the object the more amperage. For coins I use 12 volts at 500 miliamps or half an amp. Larger iron stuff of course needs more amps. Some stuff just takes longer.
I always use stainless spoons as the second object.
I sometimes use a toothpick to pick off some of the rust but usually it is not necessary, as it just flakes off.
The plastic tub has no reaction as the solution is not corrossive to non metallics.
Lastly if the object has value, then watch it closely so it doesn't over cook.
I would love to see the results, if ya get a chance to take pics. Hope this helps.
JuJu

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I forgot to include an object for size reference in the photo, but here is the gun I want to restore. It is a real gun, not a toy. Found it in a field, the plow beat me to it tho, as the pieces were 15 feet apart.

I think I am going to head out and get some supplies together. The adapter I have been using for small stuff is 5.8 Volts and 480 mAmps. I just retired a cell phone in a destructive manner tho, and might could use its plug. It is 5.9 volts 375mAmps.

Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate greatly your help in this endeavor.
Anthony

Attachments

• bang bang.JPG
    bang bang.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 348
  • bang bang.JPG
    bang bang.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 329
OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Narthoniel said:
I forgot to include an object for size reference in the photo, but here is the gun I want to restore. It is a real gun, not a toy. Found it in a field, the plow beat me to it tho, as the pieces were 15 feet apart.

I think I am going to head out and get some supplies together. The adapter I have been using for small stuff is 5.8 Volts and 480 mAmps. I just retired a cell phone in a destructive manner tho, and might could use its plug. It is 5.9 volts 375mAmps.

Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate greatly your help in this endeavor.
Anthony
Anything I can do to help bro.
JuJu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread