TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First some questions to others that use electrolysis to clean coins or other relics. My questions are what material do others use for the anode (positive lead)? Is multiple anodes needed for electrolysis? What volt and amps power supplies are used (seems bigger is better)? Lastly, what are good recipes for the solution to clean the part/items?

Now on to my setup and results - Here is my basic setup...

electrolysis-during.jpg

The first image is when I tried a thick copper wire to act as my positive anode. I figured as I was cleaning a penny it would be better, turns out it was a poor anode and leached blue/green foam into the water.

The second image is after I switched to a large steel spoon, and a car battery charger.

Here is a larger electrolysis setup I did for a large metal plate (turned out to be a stove ash door)...

electrolysis-plate-during.jpg

My setup is simple - a plastic container, I used improvised "washing/laundry soda" in the water, positive power connected to the spoon, I clamp/hang my part from a wooden rod that is clamped into place, and the negative power is connected to the part to clean.

To prevent damage to my electrical clamps I do not place them in the water. For the positive clamp I clamped the spoon to the plastic container and clamp the power to the top of the spoon. My negative clamp either clamps to part of the item to clean that is out of the water, or for coins/rings - the clamp connects to a copper stranded wire on the wooden dowel and at the end of the copper wire a small alligator clamp holds the coin.

electrolysis-powersupplies.jpg

Many sites I visited recommended simple wall adapter power supplies that were 12 volts or larger. I found a 12 volt supply, but as it isn't the power but the amps that do the work - the simple 1/2 amp supply didn't do much.

Other sites recommend car battery chargers that are rated at least 6 amps or larger so I tried mine. For electrolysis I usually get 2 to 4 amps, depending on how dirty the part to clean is, and how good of a connection my clamps get. I would recommend a car battery charger - much more power and gets the job done much better.

For coins it usually takes 3 to 10 minutes depending on how clean I want it, and the large plate took about 12 hours.

I have my setup in my bathroom, windows for ventilation and a overhead fan. Also it has the safety outlets, and for added electrical safety I use a surge protector that will trip/break if something goes wrong.

If anyone hasn't tried electrolysis cleaning before here are some great sites to get you started...

Here are the results of some of my electrolysis cleaning - top row is the before images and the bottom row is after cleaning...

electrolysis-penny.jpg

electrolysis-wheatie.jpg

electrolysis-nickel.jpg

electrolysis-car.jpg

electrolysis-plate-be.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread