Electrolysis.... Whats the best solution?

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
Recently I have found a few coins that were so encrusted that the only hope I had to get any type of ID of my find was to expose the coins to electrolysis. I genarally use good old salt water for my bath solution. Has anybody had better success with any other types of solutions? i/e baking soda and water, cleaning soda and water, different types of acids or chemicals.... I find the electrolysis method to be a good tool in my arsenal to use from time to time, but I only use it as a last resort. Thanks in advance for your input. Bryan H.

K

Kentucky Kache

In my limited experience, salt is much better than baking soda, at least for short term cleaning. Some say put a little lemon juice in the mix.
I have trouble with chargers burning out too soon.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best solution depends on the metal of the coins.

OP
OP
bdhoward

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
Sandman said:
The best solution depends on the metal of the coins.
So if its copper whats best? Silver? gold? Iron?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Citric acid. You can buy it from stores that supply home brewers. You can get it from 1 lb up to 50 lb it's inexpensive. Safe no fumes, don't have to worry about kids or pets getting into it. Works great for most items as long as you separate your items DON'T MIX METALS.

I use it in electrolysis baths for coins & my big tank for restoring power tools like antique lathes, drill presses etc.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a cup of water 2 table spoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of salt... then mix.

there are other solutions but this one for me is easily obtainable.

Chukers

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lemon juice is dilute citric. Takes longer which means more tumbler time. I'm not an expert or anything, but don't like adding salt to any of my cleaning concotions. Salt is really hard to get out if you're cleaning objects for a collection or to restore. For clads going to the bank or coin star I just use a little dawn about a half teaspoon of bon ami & water in the aquarium gravel.

If you use this concotion don't reuse the gravel for other cleanings no matter how well you rinse it out. Sad to say been there done that mistake.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use water salt and vinegar when I use electrolysis then use a water wash then baking soda afterwards to neutralize. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions