Electronic Prospecting in Texas

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I'll let you know tonight I am about to head out to Llano to scout it out and I am bring the detector among other gold things. From what I have heard the gold is too small for nuggets but people have been detecteing for concentrations of lead and gold in pockets and finding stuff that way. But I wont know till later today.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
I dont think that there would be anything around Llano that you would be able to pick up with a detector unless you find a chunk of quarts with gold in it. There is a LOT of very fine black sand and the gold that was at the office of the place was also very small in the small flake to sand grain size.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Your going to need a better detector than a BH505 to find small gold. Get a Whites GMT and you'll be getting gold so small you will have to pan it out to find it.

Attachments

• GMT.jpg
    GMT.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 552
OP
OP
X

Xcoastie45

Ive been looking at the new Infinium LS.
how would they compair?

Nolan

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Well I got the bounty hunter cheap and I dont have anywhere to go nugget hunting so I dont need a specialized machine. But I dont think there is any gold nuggets or peices large enought to detect for around here either way.

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
the bh will find the mineralized soils,witch will sometimes contain small amounts of gold,while detecting you will come across a patch that sets off the detector but when you dig all you will find is small amounts of real small pea-gravel and black sand,if you keep this material and pan it out,theres a good Chance you will find some Texas gold

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Xcoastie45 said:
Ive been looking at the new Infinium LS.
how would they compair?

Nolan
What I have read, it will find nuggets, but no tiny ones.And you can use it "everywhere" (in water, on land)
I am also thinking of getting one.(reading around to find "my next detector")
A tip (not sure if it works) set the detector to NO discrimination, then out to hunt, nuggets like to hide close to black sand "pockets".(a "big collection" of black sand)
It is sypposed to be a good "all round detector".

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as I know there has never been any gold in Texas large enough to find with a metal detector. It has all been very fine. If there are any large flakes then the White's GMT or the Fisher Gold Bug2 , both used with the smallest coil available would be your best bet.
RSJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions