johnnyblaze
Silver Member
- Joined
- Dec 20, 2010
- Messages
- 3,214
- Reaction score
- 1,770
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Rhode Island
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- T2 SPECIAL EDITION
- Primary Interest:
- Other
romeo-1 said:What's the size? May be military related but I am far from an expert.
What does that say on it?Iron Patch said:Found at an early site.... I give that one a shot. No early military found there?
johnnyblaze said:What does that say on it?Iron Patch said:Found at an early site.... I give that one a shot. No early military found there?
Im not sure i understood your post..
John
Iron Patch said:johnnyblaze said:What does that say on it?Iron Patch said:Found at an early site.... I give that one a shot. No early military found there?
Im not sure i understood your post..
John
My post is showing another regiment that used the elephant... and I your find a chance at being military, but it's very small so I don't know how it would have been worn if it's a badge. If there was other 1812 military items found at the site it would be a positive sign.
johnnyblaze said:Iron Patch said:johnnyblaze said:What does that say on it?Iron Patch said:Found at an early site.... I give that one a shot. No early military found there?
Im not sure i understood your post..
John
My post is showing another regiment that used the elephant... and I your find a chance at being military, but it's very small so I don't know how it would have been worn if it's a badge. If there was other 1812 military items found at the site it would be a positive sign.
Now you got me thinking....The two loops on the back are heavy duty..Im going to have to investigate further..
Thanks alot
John
johnnyblaze said:Iron Patch what was that piece that you have with the elephant on it?
And what does it say?
John
CRUSADER said:Its a cap badge of a Military (British?) Regiment. I have seen it before but can't remember which Regiment. A split pin went through the loops to secure it to the Hat/BeretIt looks to be a nice early one as well
![]()
Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:Its a cap badge of a Military (British?) Regiment. I have seen it before but can't remember which Regiment. A split pin went through the loops to secure it to the Hat/BeretIt looks to be a nice early one as well
![]()
Did you read it's only the size of a quarter? If it was a cap badge I think it would have had to be above a larger number. (but two pieces would seem weird) That's pretty small for a badge.
CRUSADER said:Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:Its a cap badge of a Military (British?) Regiment. I have seen it before but can't remember which Regiment. A split pin went through the loops to secure it to the Hat/BeretIt looks to be a nice early one as well
![]()
Did you read it's only the size of a quarter? If it was a cap badge I think it would have had to be above a larger number. (but two pieces would seem weird) That's pretty small for a badge.
Seen some almost that small, but I guess it could fall into the shoulder/lapel badge category.
Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:Its a cap badge of a Military (British?) Regiment. I have seen it before but can't remember which Regiment. A split pin went through the loops to secure it to the Hat/BeretIt looks to be a nice early one as well
![]()
Did you read it's only the size of a quarter? If it was a cap badge I think it would have had to be above a larger number. (but two pieces would seem weird) That's pretty small for a badge.
Seen some almost that small, but I guess it could fall into the shoulder/lapel badge category.
What I find strange is the type of attachment for being so small, but certainly doesn't discount it. So you think it's early 19th century?

CRUSADER said:http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=1989
Duke of Wellington looks a good match(Collar Badge, it is
)
CRUSADER said:CRUSADER said:http://www.dwr.org.uk/dwr.php?id=108
'The Elephant became the Collar Badge of the Regiment, following the merger of the 33rd and 76th Regiments. ' When was this?
Found it - 1881 (so post this date)
So in summary:
Post 1881 Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding, Yorkshire, UK) Collar Dog (Badge).