What's new

End of the copper trail??

ironhorse

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
5,777
Golden Thread
2
Location
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
2
Not even close!!!

I guess I don't have let anyone in on the day of detecting me and Iron Patch had yesterday. We beat a storm to a bunch of pretty good finds. We hit a couple of places in an area that obviously had a lot of early settlement, especially early military!

Lucky to be out detecting this time of year and even more lucky to be discovering a couple of new sites. We caught a few breaks with great conditions in the fields and land owners available for permissions.

The copper trail wouldn't be complete without coins, several coppers including an 1810 Norwegian skilling, an Irish penny token and a couple of local tokens and large cents. One more silver to the pile, a Victoria five cents silver that seen way better days!

As usual, buttons, a few flatties, a two piece fouled anchor (possibly a shipping line or merchant marines), and an early British militia button which will take a little more research to nail down. There's some edge lettering that may solve this riddle; also what appears to be RPD? under a crown. Any suggestions appreciated.

A couple of neat relics, a nice key, a small lock, religious medal, and a porcelain vessel from a child's tea set or doll house; sugar bowl or soup tureen maybe.

We always find a bullet or two (or more!) today I got a good assortment of shapes and sizes.

All in all, a really great day, and we're still hoping for just one more! Aren't we all!
 

Attachments

  • cdb.webp
    cdb.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 178
  • cdc.webp
    cdc.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 138
  • cdrpd.webp
    cdrpd.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 147
  • cdsk.webp
    cdsk.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 164
  • cds.webp
    cds.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 154
  • cdbull.webp
    cdbull.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 26
Very nice assorthment of coppers and buttons.
You guys never cease to amaze me.
 
I'm not a weatherman but this "El Nino" is keeping the Polar Freeze from sliding south. They say it will last into January.
Congrats on a great hunt.

Ha!
Im not a weatherman either, but if they are ever right with their predictions,I'll be a monkey's uncle!
 
Nope...looks like you guys may have a week or two of cooperative weather yet...those are some cool finds and I especially like the mystery button!

I thought I had the better military find for at least half the hunt, oh well, but I'm satisfied with a different one!
 
Its RPB, but not sure that helps much.
 
Good looking pile of finds yet again IH, I'd kill to dig up coppers like that.
 
Its RPB, but not sure that helps much.

I'll use that info, there's edge lettering too; combine the two and I may have an answer
I'll save some of those snowy winter days to look harder for the answer
 
Beautiful finds, congrats on the military buttons and the tokens! :occasion14:

Too bad the large lock wasn't complete, :icon_scratch:
Dave
 
Sounds like a perfect storm of a day for you guys with a great assortment or relics and coins. Hope you can get in a few more hunts before the weather gets ugly.
 
Feels so good after the research and average hunts to finally just settle into the goods for awhile. Glad you guys are into it buddy
 
I'll use that info, there's edge lettering too; combine the two and I may have an answer
I'll save some of those snowy winter days to look harder for the answer

The site that IP linked to will help you quicker.(email him) I can see the edge lettering top & bottom & something under the 'P'. I wonder if the 'B' is brigade & its a Regular army unit from the early 1800s. Just a WAG.

UPDATE this post please.
 
The site that IP linked to will help you quicker.(email him) I can see the edge lettering top & bottom & something under the 'P'. I wonder if the 'B' is brigade & its a Regular army unit from the early 1800s. Just a WAG.

UPDATE this post please.


Or battalion.
 
Beautiful finds, congrats on the military buttons and the tokens! :occasion14:

Too bad the large lock wasn't complete, :icon_scratch:
Dave

Thanks
The lock is actually very small maybe only an inch across ; would have been a nicer find complete
 
Sounds like a perfect storm of a day for you guys with a great assortment or relics and coins. Hope you can get in a few more hunts before the weather gets ugly.

My fingers are crossed , and my batteries will be charged!
We are so lucky to have another crack at it!
 
Feels so good after the research and average hunts to finally just settle into the goods for awhile. Glad you guys are into it buddy

Thank you
Thing is you have to exhaust all the leads; some take you places that don't hold much ,then you get to one ripe for the picking. You just never know!
 
The site that IP linked to will help you quicker.(email him) I can see the edge lettering top & bottom & something under the 'P'. I wonder if the 'B' is brigade & its a Regular army unit from the early 1800s. Just a WAG.

UPDATE this post please.

As soon as I know, so will everyone else!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom