Endeavor: Found...but some dispute

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Actually, kind of a cool Ivory Tower battle going on. The Australian National Maritime Museum announced that the Endeavor has been confirmed. But the Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project says the confirmation is "premature". The article sorts out to about 1/3 being about the Endeavor, and 2/3 about how to identify a shipwreck and all the steps that go into it. Still a good read if you are into 19th century explorers and history:

Has Captain Cook's ship Endeavour been found? How to identify a shipwreck

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, kind of a cool Ivory Tower battle going on. The Australian National Maritime Museum announced that the Endeavor has been confirmed. But the Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project says the confirmation is "premature". The article sorts out to about 1/3 being about the Endeavor, and 2/3 about how to identify a shipwreck and all the steps that go into it. Still a good read if you are into 19th century explorers and history:

Has Captain Cook's ship Endeavour been found? How to identify a shipwreck
They could likely accomplish a lot more if they put the politics aside.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
They could likely accomplish a lot more if they put the politics aside.

But then they would have to also put aside the glory and the certain grant money!!! To me it sounds like the Australians want the glory because of Cook's Australia voyages, while Rhode Island wants the glory because that's Endeavor's final resting place. And of course they all want that grant money. I kind of hope the British get in on this and it gets really rough and tumble.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But then they would have to also put aside the glory and the certain grant money!!! To me it sounds like the Australians want the glory because of Cook's Australia voyages, while Rhode Island wants the glory because that's Endeavor's final resting place. And of course they all want that grant money. I kind of hope the British get in on this and it gets really rough and tumble.
What about all the places Cook "DISCOVERED"? They should be in on this.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about all the places Cook "DISCOVERED"? They should be in on this.
In 1987 I found the first transport vessel scuttled by the British. That set off this debacle right in front of the Naval War College where I just retired from after 32 years. The woman who runs RIMAP is notorious for being a control freak and alienating the Aussies who dove the sites for over 20 years and provided funding. She has been living off this wreck for many years and does not even dive!

I'll try to send some articles about this from many years ago.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1987 I found the first transport vessel scuttled by the British. That set off this debacle right in front of the Naval War College where I just retired from after 32 years. The woman who runs RIMAP is notorious for being a control freak and alienating the Aussies who dove the sites for over 20 years and provided funding. She has been living off this wreck for many years and does not even dive!

I'll try to send some articles about this from many years ago.
Where is the Naval War College?

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

She may not dive, but I bet she pulled in those cushy grants--the mother's milk of ivory tower researchers. How was it finally resolved? I'd rather see a control freak get their comeuppance than your typical run of the mill A-hole. They always seem to fall harder, and it's such a kick to see how poorly they take the defeat.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She may not dive, but I bet she pulled in those cushy grants--the mother's milk of ivory tower researchers. How was it finally resolved? I'd rather see a control freak get their comeuppance than your typical run of the mill A-hole. They always seem to fall harder, and it's such a kick to see how poorly they take the defeat.
She is far from your average A-hole! Even the Aussies, normally cool, calm and collected have reached the breaking point with her. The final report will be released soon and then I can tell all here more details.

WD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread