ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
english shipwreck plate shards early 1800's "green edge" pearlware-with photos

it has a "scalloped" type edge--it has a green coloring that entends from the edge about 1/4 inch in and has about 1/2 long fine lines in a row that run all along its edge toward the rim edge cut into it under the glaze ---anyone have any ideas on the "pattern" or maker? I think it came from a early 1800's period english "lumber ship" wreck off of amelia island--there were about two dozen or so in the early 1810 to 1816 period---Ivan

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: need help-plate shard maybe early 1800's english "green" transferware-no pho

Any chance it might be something like the example in the lower right hand corner of this photo?

P000575.jpg

"Of the British ceramics, we identified:
-- feather-edge pearl ware, mostly plates, blue and green edged, dates: 1800-1820"

Source: http://www.belizecubadigs.com/middle-cay-97-98.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: english "green" pearlware-shell edge-scalloped rim -impressed straight lines

thanks PBK ---bingo ---the green edged one right hand bottom corner---1800 -1820 english period---hummm--then its a perfect match for both time frame & nation of origin of a british "lumber wreck" off amelia island ---over 24 of them are recorded as going down over a 6 year period on / just off of amelia island fla ---where the plate shards were found---british 1810 to 1816 time frame---thanks thats just what I thought--- nice to see it "pan" out---did a bit more looking --its called a shell edge with scalloped rim and impressed straight lines with green edging---and was made from 1794 to 1840 with it peak popularity from 1809 to 1831 ---on land if found it is thought to mean 1820's time frame---these were 1810 to 1816 period time frame wrecks---just as this type of plates were statring to be popular (a hot "trade" item)---they most likely were export items inbound from england to florida as trade goods---the ships normally took lumber back-- finding the pottery shards means she likely went down inbound before off loading her english cargo-- now its time to start checking the old manifest to see if any of them that were carrying plates were also carrying anything else of $$$ interest-- ::) -Ivan

Upvote 0

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Re: english shipwreck plate shards early 1800's "green edge" pearlware-with photos

Pearlware, was a very common plate found just about every where,, I have found shards from Manhattan, land fill in Jersey City, and on the surface from the Forts in Old San Juan, Was always under the opinion it started slightly after the Revolution, but 1794 would be close enough. In the early 1900s That style became popular here again, especially in the form of platters. (I have one on top of my table )

Regards Simon

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread