What's new

Engraved bone

Joined
Dec 13, 2015
Messages
116
Reaction score
173
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490366468.935171.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490366485.931099.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490366498.304286.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490366513.528307.webp

Found this where erosion has made a very deep cut into the hillside. Tallahassee, FL. Any ideas as to what it is, and what purpose it may have served?
 
Upvote 0
some of that looks gnawed on....it is hard to tell
 
I believe that to be a piece of a turtle shell or if it is fossilized it may be Armadillo.
 
I have to agree with the others. That is a piece of Turtle Shell and it's not actually engraved.
 
IMG_1179.webpIMG_1181.webpOhhh man, I have been exactly where you are. I found this turtle shell buried in a great site. I thought for sure that I had found a museum piece with cool markings all along the sides. Well all the side scratches where made by a rodent. I know this because I later found many turtle shell fragments with the exact same marks in the woods. Rodents do this to obtain calcium. Now as for the two holes, I think those are man made, but the damn squirrels even chewed those out! Anyway I just wanted to give you an example.
 
I found 1 the other day and carried it around till on the way home and then looked at it again and then knew it was a box turtle under side. Really had my hopes up but just disappointed later.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom